New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iCloud Not Syncing Bookmarks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tazzie

Tazzie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 3rd Gen, AppleTV

Like many other people, I have an iPad, iPod, iPhone, MacBook and an iMac and it's driving me NUTS that the Bookmarks won't sync anymore. Contacts and Calendar sync beautifully, so why not Bookmarks?

Anyone know why iCloud no longer seems to sync Bookmarks and what I might be able to do to fix it?

Thanks!

QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

My bookmarks are synced on iCloud and in fact the iCloud site *specifically* mentions that it syncs bookmarks, so the problem is either

1. You're not using Safari
2. You don't have bookmark syncing turned on in your iCloud control panel:

QUOTE Thanks
Tazzie

Tazzie is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook, iMac, iPhone 5, iPod Touch, iPad 3rd Gen, AppleTV

Hi Chas

Oh, I wish you were right!

I only use Safari and I do have Bookmarks checked in iCloud preferences.

Cheers

QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

alexjholland is on a distinguished road

Same for me, I use iPhone, iPad, Macbook, iMac and a Windows PC in the office - all on iCloud.

For a while, it was perfect. Now it's a ****ing nightmare - my iMac isn't syncing.. Random folders completely refuse to delete..

WHY can we not log into iCloud.com and see the central, reference collection of folders?

I pay big dollar for Apple to 'just work'. It isn't - and it's wasting my time!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you're paying "big dollar" for iCloud -- you've gotten scammed somewhere.

All I can tell you is that it's working perfectly for me.

To Tazzie: and you also have bookmark syncing turned on in your iCloud preferences on the iDevice, too?
QUOTE Thanks
alexjholland

alexjholland is on a distinguished road

Obviously I am referring to the cost of Apple hardware, which - as any student of basic economics will understand - subsidises the cost of 'free' services such as iCloud.

I'm happy to fork out the 3k-4k I've spent on Apple products in the last 18 months, on the presumption that they are more reliable than Windows products and - in that sense - provide better time economy. That's usually the case.

Thanks for informing us that your service works great; and for giving Tazzie some fisher-price advice. Perhaps we should check he turned it on too?

Fortunately, my iCloud seems to be working again. Turning it on and off a couple of times on my devices and restarting seems to have triggered a sync.. But I stand by my assertion that you should be able to log in and access/edit the central, 'authoritative' data, then force it onto devices.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

This is one of the friendliest and most helpful forums you'll find. There's no need for the swearing or sniping IMO.

All that's required for the sync to work is that it be turned on on each device you want to sync.

So chas_m's advice was hardly 'fisher-price' as you unnecessarily note. He was purely suggesting the most obvious solution. Also stating that his was working again was there to counterpoint that having the options checked can work.
The OP hadn't stated they had checked the status of the iCloud sync option so from a remote diagnosis position checking the basics is a sensible place to start.

I'm glad toggling the options on and off has worked for you. Hopefully the same will work for the OP.

Even expensive, reliable systems have bugs. I'd urge you to report your via the feedback option on the Apple site.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
nickyr

nickyr is a jewel in the roughnickyr is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2012 IMac 27", mid 2010 Macbook, OSX 10.9.5, iPhone 5, iPad 3, iOS 8, Apple TV 3, iPod Classic

I'm getting this issue too and have been for a while.

Syncing is checked in iCloud preferences and on all my devices but it ain't happening. I only use Safari.

I'll try the untoggle, retoggle, turn off and turn on routine and see what happens. But this is Apple, and that sounds too much like windows ctrl-alt-delete type stuff to me!!

what have the Roman's ever done for us?

QUOTE Thanks
Ickis

Ickis is on a distinguished road

Hi there!

I have the same issue for a few weeks now. I sync two Macs with Lion and my iPhone 4 with iOS 5.1. All devices have turned bookmark sync on, and of course I am using Safari on both devices (would be stupid if not!).

The problem seems to be to pull new bookmarks from iCloud, not the sync towards iCloud: When I add a new bookmark on Mac 1, Mac 2 and the iPhone do not get the bookmark. When I switch off sync and then switch it on again on Mac 2 or iPhone the new bookmark appears. Instead of toggling bookmark sync on the iPhone it helps to add a bookmark on the iPhone. The bookmark added on Mac 1 will appear on the iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks
Brynnae

Brynnae is on a distinguished road

Once before I had also faced the same problem. Same thing I did and the problem solved. Sometimes some small mistake takes much time to fetch, after fetching you will come to know that it's really very small mistake you did.
QUOTE Thanks
dbm

dbm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac Mini 2011, MBPr 15 2013 with i7/16GB both running Mavericks

I just experienced this problem, but was able to resolve it by:
  1. Turning off bookmark sync in the iCloud control panel (System Preferences)
  2. Deleting all the bookmarks from Safari on my MacBook Pro
  3. Turning bookmark sync back on in the iCloud control panel

This caused my MacBook Pro to refresh to the current list of bookmarks in the iCloud.

Just for info, I have an iPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro all sync'ed this way. The iOS devices were staying in-sync perfectly; it was just the MacBook Pro which was experiencing the problem.

Hope this is useful info for people in a similar position!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjholland View Post
But I stand by my assertion that you should be able to log in and access/edit the central, 'authoritative' data, then force it onto devices.
That already exists. It is called iTunes on your Mac or PC. That IS the "authoritative" set of data and you CAN "force it onto devices."

The fact that you don't appear to know this suggests that the problem may not actually lie with Apple after all, which explains why I can't replicate the issue.
QUOTE Thanks
royalpei

royalpei is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 27" 3.2 GHZ, Core Intel i5, 16 mb ram, OSX 10.9.2 Macbook Pro 15" Maverick,ipad,iphone

I have resigned myself to learn icloud, BUT I do not see where I have the choice to sync my bookmarks.
How do I add bookmarks to my list of items to sync when its not on there.

Actually mine shows safari, not bookmarks, is it the same thing?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It's the Safari option that includes bookmarks

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
msharp

msharp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina MacBook Pro, 2.8GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 500GB HD, OSX10.9

Me too,
My icould shows which websites each of my devices (iPhone, iPad, Macbook) is looking at but the bookmarks will not sync onto or from my Macbook, but iphone to ipad works just fine.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« connected display not authorized to play | Mail and Gmail »