New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iCloud

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Franco2Mac

Franco2Mac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Non Intel based I-Mac

I downloaded Lion, have a G3 running the latest version, and purchased an iPad for the wife. Now as I understand it once I turned on photo stream, and iCloud, if she takes a picture it should be pushed to the iMac desktop as well as my iPhone. But, that's not what happens. All I see is something that looks like a mail server on my iPhone, and same thing on her iPad. I do have photostream enabled, but must have missed a step.

What is the hoop I need to get through to get photo's to appear on all devices?

Thanks

KKKKFL
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Lion won't work on a G3 - it requires an Intel processor and the G3 is a PPC processor. Therefore, you can't use iCloud on your G3. Might there be some confusion about what machine you've installed Lion on?

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
Franco2Mac

That's a boo-boo on my part... meant to say the iPhone is a Gen 3 iphone. The iMac is fairly new and Lion installed with no problems. Now if I take a photo with my Gen 3 iPhone does it automatically go to the cloud and the picture can be seen on the iMac at home on my desk as well as my wife's iPod?

Thanks

KKKKFL
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As it says on Apple's iCloud page, your devices must be running either Lion or iOS 5 to work with iCloud:

Apple - iCloud - Getting Started

I don't really know what iPhone you're actually trying to tell us you have (since Apple never made a "gen 3"), but if it's not at least an iPhone 3GS, you can't run iOS 5 on it and thus iCloud won't work on it.
QUOTE Thanks
Franco2Mac

Ok, so's we have the verbage down its an " iPhone 3GS, running iOS 5" and the iPad I purchased last Saturday... It is not the New New iPad but it is the one just prior. Even if the iPhone won't work. I CANNOT get the iPad to send photo's to the iMac (which is running Lion) All I have is something that looks like a Mail server. I did get a message asking if I wanted the phone to be backed up on iCloud, and I answered "Yes".

Someone told me that I need to look in a folder for the pictures, and the folder would have the date that the picture was taken.. Where is that folder? Are photo's automatically going to iPhoto? What about documents? I created a test Word document using the wife's iPad, should I be able to access iCloud and find that document? How do I search iCloud ?

Thanks

KKKKFL
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

PhotoStream streams to iPhoto or Aperture on your desktop. You have to have a version late enough to support it (which since you are running Lion I assume you do) then go into iPhoto (or Aperture) and enable Photo Stream from the Menu.

EDIT: on the documents in the Cloud, maybe this will help
Docs created on Mac not in iCloud

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Franco2Mac

Thanks Razormac,
I'll try going into iPhoto on the Desk machine, also need to check and make certain that "sharing" is enabled. Ultimately, I'm trying to get photo's taken on the iPad, or my iPhone to show up in the others camera roll. I also want to be able to see the camera Roll for iPad and iPhone when I am working on a document sitting at the desk on my iMac that's running Lion.

KKKKFL
QUOTE Thanks
swh

swh is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2Mac View Post
Thanks Razormac,
I'll try going into iPhoto on the Desk machine, also need to check and make certain that "sharing" is enabled. Ultimately, I'm trying to get photo's taken on the iPad, or my iPhone to show up in the others camera roll. I also want to be able to see the camera Roll for iPad and iPhone when I am working on a document sitting at the desk on my iMac that's running Lion.

KKKKFL
Hi, Franco2Mac.

"Sharing" and PhotoStream are not the same things. You can use PhotoStream to "share" your pictures with other devices that are associated with your iCloud (Apple) ID, but it's not the same thing as "sharing" on a Mac. It's a slight, and important difference in terminology.

If you want to enable PhotoStream between your iPad, iPhone, and iPhoto you have to do the following:

#1 - Make sure you are running iOS 5 or newer on your iPhone and IPad. Make sure you are running Photo 11 (v9.2 or later) or Aperture (v3.2 or later) on your Mac. Make sure you are running OS X 7.2 or newer on your Mac as well.

#2 - On your iPad:

Make sure you have iCloud configured on your iPad as it says here: Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

#3 - On your iPhone:

Make sure you have iCloud configured on your iPad as it says here: Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

#4 - On your iMac or any other Mac computer:

Make sure you have iCloud configured on your iMac as it says here:
Apple - iCloud - Learn how to set up iCloud on all your devices.

If you follow all of the above, you will have successfully enabled PhotoStream. Pictures taken on your iPad will show up on all of your devices (mobile and Desktop) that have Photo Stream enabled.

One more thing...there will be separate album in your Photos App on your mobile devices called Photo Stream. This album is separate from your Camera Roll. The Camera Roll is reserved for pictures that you take with your device.

For Example: when you take a picture with your iPad, that picture will appear in the iPad's Camera Roll. If you have Photo Stream enabled, it will also show up in the iPad's Photo Stream.

In iPhoto, you will have a folder or album called Photo Stream. It is located in the left hand navigation area of iPhoto under the RECENT heading. If you have set everything up correctly as described above, when you click on Photo Stream, under Recent in iPhoto, the picture you just took with your iPad should show up there.

If you're still having issues after the above description, feel free to write back, and know that going to the Apple Store for some help on your just purchased iPad is a good option as well.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Cheers,
Shawn
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Make sure you're running the latest, updated, version of iPhoto. Previous versions will not work with Photo Stream (even if they are running on Lion).
QUOTE Thanks
Franco2Mac

I'll bet you're onto something. I never use iPhoto, and usually disregard any updates. I don't quite understand the relationship of iPhoto to the mobile devices, but its best to have everything in the latest versions. What I'm really after is to have the photo just snapped on either my iPhone, or the wife's iPad show up on each others mobile device. Showing up on the iMac that's at home is just gravy.

Thanks again.

KKKKFL
QUOTE Thanks
Franco2Mac

For those following this thread, its always good to post what one does to ultimately get problems resolved. In my case, it was correcting iPhoto to the latest version, AND, making all the Accounts for iCloud identical... Computers don't do well with "Do what I mean" I remember a guy that sold a ton of key Caps each with "DWIM" emblazoned on it. Once the latest version of iPhoto was installed, and all accounts for each device were corrected, iPhoto populated.

Thanks guys..
My last hurdle will be teaching/learning how to access the Documents that my wife creates at work on the iPad. I've installed the Word application and created a test document, now where do I look for it on the home iMac?

KKKKFL
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

Documents in the Cloud would probably be the easiest method, but she could install something like GoodReader or QuickOffice or Pages and either transfer (Wi-Fi sync) or email the documents she creates to you. Another option is to use Dropbox or something like it.
QUOTE Thanks
Franco2Mac

She has Pages installed on the iPad. I haven't looked at the options, but I think emailing it to her hospital webmail sounds easiest.

KKKKFL
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« badge app icon | block calls on iphone4 »