New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Problem deleting photos from Pictures

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

gumnut

gumnut is on a distinguished road

I am using iphotos 09 and trying to delete photos from my hard drive as I have too many and I need some space as my computer is working very sluggishly. When I delete them from iphotos they are still in Pictures so still taking up space. In an older version of iphotos it was easy to remove photos from Pictures. In this version the dates don't matchand they are listed by the date so that the 1st of every month are files together followed by the 2nd of every month. Its crazy and very frustratine and time consuming to remove photos. Is this still the same with the newest version of iphotos? I am reluctant to download it in case its even worse.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Hello,
Are the photos still in the Trash can in iPhoto? You need to also delete from there if you haven't already.(Empty your desktop Trash as well because they will appear in a folder in there)

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
gumnut

Yes I have emptied trash and that makes a bit of difference but the files are still in Pictures library where they are stored as opposed to iphotos where I view them
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Yosemite 10.10.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumnut View Post
Yes I have emptied trash and that makes a bit of difference but the files are still in Pictures library where they are stored as opposed to iphotos where I view them
Hello again,
I'm not overfamiliar with how it works but it's possible what your are seeing are cached images.
I don't think that it's recommended that you start altering things in the library folder because it could cause the application to fail.
You seem to have gone about deleting things in the right however.
Cheers

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
gumnut

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Demapples

Demapples is a jewel in the roughDemapples is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumnut View Post
I am using iphotos 09 and trying to delete photos from my hard drive as I have too many and I need some space as my computer is working very sluggishly. When I delete them from iphotos they are still in Pictures so still taking up space. In an older version of iphotos it was easy to remove photos from Pictures. In this version the dates don't matchand they are listed by the date so that the 1st of every month are files together followed by the 2nd of every month. Its crazy and very frustratine and time consuming to remove photos. Is this still the same with the newest version of iphotos? I am reluctant to download it in case its even worse.
Do you get the result you want if from within iPhoto you select the image, then select File, Delete version and master?

Longtime Windows, then onto slippery slope with iPod/iTunes in 2006, then Apple TV, iPad, iMac, iPhone and finally rejuvenated a discarded MacBook. Happy camper.
QUOTE Thanks
gumnut

My version doesn't have this option in File menu. I am working with version 09. When I delete photos I just click delete button.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Problem with a table in Pages | Unable to activate Photo Stream »