New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

[Q]New iPad and iTunes

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Upright

Upright is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone. I just bought The New iPad and I'd like to keep my current iTunes library OFF of my iPad...so in other words I'd like to have a completely fresh library to sync to my iPad. To put it another way, I don't want any of the music that is in my current library on this device but I don't want to delete my current library of music, I'd like a completely separate and blank library to sync the iPad to. Is it possible to have two libraries, one for my other iPhone and different library for my new iPad on the same account?

Thanks a bunch
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Easy. Hold down the Option key when starting iTunes, and create a new/separate library for yourself. Boom.

Doug

Edit: That's the shift key if you're using Windows.
QUOTE Thanks
Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Easy. Hold down the Option key when starting iTunes, and create a new/separate library for yourself. Boom.

Doug
Awesome! Thank you.
QUOTE Thanks
Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
I am mystified as to why you think you need to do this. You do not need to create a separate iTunes library for each device. They can be set to draw from the same library but use completely different tunes if that is your wish.

Putting tunes on one device does not exclude them from being included on another and vice versa. If you want to create a playlist of music that will only go on one of the devices and not the other, a smart playlist can take care of that no problem.

Thanks for the response. Let me explain- I am a music producer. I have sample libraries that total close to 100GB's or more of audio clips and snippets. This large library of sounds range from 30 second music loops to .30 second kick drum files...we're talking 10's of thousands of files. l My iPad will contain virtually no "regular" mp3 files. The bulk of audio that I will be syncing to the iPad will be these "sample clips" that I will use in iPad audio applications. I have an iPod and an Android device that I use with iTunes, I'd prefer to keep my "regular" Mp3 files in a complete separate library for these devices simply to make things easier on me visually. I don't want 5000 kick drum samples mingled in with my "general listening" mp3's. I felt the easiest way to accomplish this would be to set up two different libraries. Hope that explains it.

you can check out some of my tunes here: www.soundcloud.com/upright
QUOTE Thanks
Upright

Also, how do go back to the other library when the occasion comes that I need to sync my iPod?
QUOTE Thanks
Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Okay, crystal clear explanation and you are perfectly right in that case, two libraries would be the best for that purpose.

I took a listen to the soundcloud samples, I get the impression these are designed for club or for people to sing/rap over? If so, I'd say well done -- I like to downtempo "groove salad" vibe on them.

So, how to switch back and forth between libraries? Simple -- launch iTunes holding the option key, you'll be prompted to create a new library or change libraries. The last one selected remains the default until a new one is selected.

Awesome. Thanks for the listen, feedback and help chas_m.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Questions about sending text messages? | UnJailbreak iPhone 4? »