New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

email disappearing on iphone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wollardm

wollardm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Air, OSX 10.7.3, 4GB Ram, 256GB. iPad 2 32GB 3G, iPhone 4 32GB

I think I know why I am seeing new email's disappear, but I'm not sure how to deal with it. I will see new emails show up on my iPhone 4 briefly then disappear from the inbox.

I have numerous folders and rules in Mail on my Macbook Air that move emails to a folder that applies to that sender. I find the email in its appropriate folder on my laptop, but can't see the email that has been moved to a folder on my iPhone nor my iPad.

Any thoughts short of deleting all of the folders?
QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

You are doing this (iOS and MBA) all through IMAP and folders on the server, right?

--
Regards
...Ashwin

Be sure to read the Community Guidelines | The more information you provide, the better answers you get, remember GIGO.
QUOTE Thanks
G-Mo

G-Mo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See signature

What's your setup? You must be using IMAP on iOS, what are you using on the Air? Are your folders setup on the computer or on the mail server?

Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) 2.3GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 256GB SSD
MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010); iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
iPad 2 16GB; iPhone 4S 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
wollardm

wollardm is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Air, OSX 10.7.3, 4GB Ram, 256GB. iPad 2 32GB 3G, iPhone 4 32GB

my folders are set up on my laptop not on a server. The folders do not appear on my iPhone, but the mail is set up to sync using iCloud.
QUOTE Thanks
G-Mo

G-Mo is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: See signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by wollardm View Post
my folders are set up on my laptop not on a server. The folders do not appear on my iPhone, but the mail is set up to sync using iCloud.
There's your problem. When the mail rule moves the email from your inbox to a folder on your Mac it removes it from the mail server. Recreate your mail folders in your iCloud account and move the mail messages to these folders, it uses more space on your mail server, but it also will allow you to access those sorted email messages from your iDevices.

Apple Certified Macintosh Technician (ACMT)
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) 2.3GHz Core i5, 8GB RAM, Crucial M4 256GB SSD
MacBook Air (11-inch, Late 2010); iMac (21.5-inch, Mid 2010)
iPad 2 16GB; iPhone 4S 16GB
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

OR just stop checking mail on your MacBook Air until the end of the day.
QUOTE Thanks
RogueKnight

RogueKnight is on a distinguished road

Ok I understand what yall are talking about having it set up as an IMAP where any device removed the mail from the mail server then it isn't accessable to the other devices. My problem is my iphone 4S (just did this a min ago) said I had 4 emails. I open mail and I see 4 emails then 2 just disappear, the other two stay, sometimes it says I have one email then it disappears soon as I open mail (now you see it now you don't kinda thing). All 4 emails were from my yahoo account. If I go to yahoo the emails aren't there, not in trash or junk, they are just gone. The emails that aren't deleted I can see if I access yahoo.com, or they are on my iphone, and they are on my Imac. But the emails that vanish are lost. I have a vet send me a reminder about one of my animals and I have no clue which one because I only saw the email for 2 seconds.

All good magicians make what they disappear reappear, so can someone tell me how to teach my phone some magic so I can get my emails.
QUOTE Thanks
rrmpm15

rrmpm15 is on a distinguished road

Was this question ever answered? It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, the message is gone. Not in trash or anywhere. Does not download to macbook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone App Store Icon missing | Battery discharges fast on my iphone4 »