New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone 4s questions

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Corsaire

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

I currently own a PoS HTC inspire 4g. where I live, I get 0 signal. So my question is, does the iPhone 4S allow you to use wifi to send text or to make calls? If it does, what is required (need some sort of account for skype or whatever)?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD

If you have a data connection, either cellular or wifi, you can use iMessage to text other iOS devices for free. Not sure about using another service or app to text other phones. Skype is one of many ways you can use your wifi to make calls.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.10
QUOTE Thanks
Corsaire

Corsaire is on a distinguished road

if i remember correctly, skype charges you to make internet calls...are there any services that do not? Already paying a grip to at&t don't want to add more costs if i can avoid it.
QUOTE Thanks
aoifeee

aoifeee is on a distinguished road

If your network allows you to send webtexts then you can download an app that lets you send them from your phone. For calls you can use skype. You could also use Viber but the other person would also have to be using Viber.
QUOTE Thanks
Alex Merd

Alex Merd is on a distinguished road

FaceTime for iPhone probably will do. Do not sure is video can be switched off during the call...
Apple - iPhone 4S - Smile and say hello on the phone with FaceTime.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsaire View Post
if i remember correctly, skype charges you to make internet calls...are there any services that do not? Already paying a grip to at&t don't want to add more costs if i can avoid it.
You remember incorrectly. Skype does not charge anything for Skype-to-Skype calls. There is a charge for making calls from Skype to "real" telephones, and sending SMS messages. I got unlimited North American calling to telephones through Skype for $30 per year. Since I can use Skype on my iPhone or iPad as well, I find this to be a great way to call from Canada to the US or vice versa at no additional charge, even on my iPhone.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« [iPad]Question about launching browsers | Looking to promote my new app... Any advices? »