New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Outlook synced through Dropbox?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jamesbtp

Jamesbtp is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb

Is it possible to sync outlook or outlook express, through Dropbox?

But the tricky bit is across platforms from windows to Mac?

Please say so!
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

ShortNo.

If you want to sync mail cross-platform using pretty much any mail client look to using an email service that supports IMAP.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4Ghz, ipod classic 160gb, iphone4 16gb, imac g4, ipod 2nd gen 40gb

Thanks for the reply, mail is not that important in this situation, what I mainly want is to sync detailed contacts databases and I thought outlook would be best.

Any suggestions of software to do this?
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbtp View Post
Thanks for the reply, mail is not that important in this situation, what I mainly want is to sync detailed contacts databases and I thought outlook would be best.

Any suggestions of software to do this?
Sync with multiple users? Sync instantly? Automatically? Manually?

I'd suggest using a gmail account that has exchange access and allows cross-platform syncing but if you could explain a little more about what you're trying to do then that would help.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

Basically, I want to set up a contacts database, that I can manually sync, doesn't need to be instant. Two different users, one regular on a windows laptop, one occasionally on a MacBook.

Both however, would need instant access offline, I had considered Gmail, but I guess the details wouldn't be available offline. For example I would regularly need to search various information fields, home address, service date etc.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesbtp View Post
I had considered Gmail, but I guess the details wouldn't be available offline. For example I would regularly need to search various information fields, home address, service date etc.
So long as you use a client like Outlook etc the contacts are synced - i.e. there's an identical copy online and on your machine(s) so they would be available offilne

QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

Ok, I don't have outlook on my Mac, but it is on the windows PC, so if I get it for my Mac, I'll be able to sync contacts across both?

Sorry if I appear dumb on this subject, just want to be clear.

And thanks for your prompt replies.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

You can sync it down to Address Book on your Mac

Open address Book and go to Preferences - Accounts

The best thing to do is create gmail account, add a few dummy contacts in then configure address book on your Mac and Outlook? on the PC and you'll see how it works without impacting your existing data

QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

I will do just that, thanks for all your help.
QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

UPDATE:

I have created a gmail account, and synced contacts between it and my address book and it mostly worked fine.

But now when I sync my phone to my Mac, which then syncs with Gmail, it doesn't sync all information. Names, numbers and addresses work fine, but additional info like notes etc won't sync.

Any ideas how to make this work?

J
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Firstly, I'd suggest setting your phone to sync over-the-air using Gmail via exchange rather than syncing through iTunes.
Details here
This way everything is in sync in near real time and you don't need to even think about when you last synced etc.

As for the Notes issue; which notes are you talking about? Notes from you iPhone or Outlook?

QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

Ok, I'll set it up to sync that way.

What I mean, is the notes, additional fields etc in each individual contact won't sync, I'll try it the way you suggest and see if it works.

To sum what I want to do again is:

Office has a windows laptop, using the gmail account,
I have a mac and IPhone,
I want to sync contacts between all 3, but ideally all 3 can update contacts and then sync all 3.

Doing it the way you say, I think I'll be able to:

Sync iPhone to gmail contacts,
Then sync phone to mac address book and vice versa.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

Setting up each client (PC, Mac, Phone) to sync with gmail means all three can update, all three will see the same thing and all this will happen in near real-time (when connected to the internet one way or another).

You don't need to sync the phone, Mac or the PC to one another it's all done via gmail as the hub.

Make a change on the phone and that change is upwardly synced to the gmail "cloud" and the pushed back down to the PC and Mac. This is true of all three devices and any other you choose to connect to the same account.

EDIT:
If you're using Lion - gmail sync won't sync directly to your Mac Address book without using either an email client or as you say syncing via your iPhone. Apologies for the duff info
EDIT2:
I'm clearly over-caffeinated today I was right the first time . . . you can sync address book direct with gmail, even in Lion

QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

As a test I've just added a note to a contact within the online interface of GMail. Within seconds it had been pushed down to my iPhone and iPad.

So contact notes are definitely synced by gmail. If you aren't seeing them I'd suggest it's a limit of the client rather than the capabilities of gmails exchange sync.

QUOTE Thanks
Jamesbtp

Ok, I've changed things to work as you said.

It works well, however, I still have the same issue, there is a limit to how much info each contact can carry in the sync, from Gmail to phone. From their known issues section:

Limited Contact Information. The iOS device can synchronize up to 3 email addresses. Phone number synchronization is limited to 2 Home numbers, 1 Home Fax, 1 Mobile, 1 Pager, 3 Work (one will be labeled 'Company Main') and one Work Fax number.

This is the real issue I have, and it has me up the walls!!!!!

There doesn't appear to be any restriction, when a contact from my phone is synced to gmail.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple Configurator | Can't Sync Contacts Anymore »