New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

ePub

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Brianmcv

Brianmcv is on a distinguished road

Hello,
I'm currently investigating the use of iPads for my business, and one feature we would like to use them for is interactive equipment manuals. iBook Author looks perfect for creating these, however they will contain highly sensitive information, so I can't publish them to the iTunes store which I think rules out iBook Author?

Does anyone know of any alternatives to iBook Author that would allow me to quickly and easily create interactive textbooks/manuals on a desktop, and then sync it to an ipad. I would prefer if they could be created in a windows environment, however if necessary I'm sure we could pick up some mac minis too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Just found on the FAQ that it can be distributed without using the iTunes Store - great! Would also still be interested in hearing about any windows equivalents to iBook Author?
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianmcv View Post
iBook Author looks perfect for creating these, however they will contain highly sensitive information, so I can't publish them to the iTunes store which I think rules out iBook Author?
It's iBooks Author and no, that doesn't rule out the program (EDIT: as you've discovered).

Quote:
Does anyone know of any alternatives to iBook Author that would allow me to quickly and easily create interactive textbooks/manuals on a desktop, and then sync it to an ipad.
Adobe InDesign (augmented with some interactivity and ePub plug-ins) is the closest thing I can think of. That should set you back a couple grand easily, but you can run it on Mac or Windows as you choose.

That's the thing about iBooks Author that makes it revolutionary: there ISN'T anything that good at that price level that does what it does.

The good news is that if you wait a couple of years, every publishing concern in the e-market will have cobbled up their own "iBooks Author-like" program that will be easier and cheaper than what's around now. One of the things I love about Apple is that they push not just themselves, but EVERYBODY forward.
QUOTE Thanks
Brianmcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
It's iBooks Author and no, that doesn't rule out the program (EDIT: as you've discovered).

Adobe InDesign (augmented with some interactivity and ePub plug-ins) is the closest thing I can think of. That should set you back a couple grand easily, but you can run it on Mac or Windows as you choose.

That's the thing about iBooks Author that makes it revolutionary: there ISN'T anything that good at that price level that does what it does.

The good news is that if you wait a couple of years, every publishing concern in the e-market will have cobbled up their own "iBooks Author-like" program that will be easier and cheaper than what's around now. One of the things I love about Apple is that they push not just themselves, but EVERYBODY forward.
Thanks Chas - I had considered InDesign as it is used elsewhere in the organisation and I have used it extensively in the past for print publishing - but this will eventually be used by engineers who I don't think would have the time (or patience) to learn InDesign - it could always be a backup I guess. Cheers!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Never let engineers make their own books. They think everyone thinks like they do.
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Never let engineers make their own books. They think everyone thinks like they do.
Is there any other way to think?

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Brianmcv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razormac View Post

Looks like InDesign isn't going to be an option - been reading up on it a bit more, and seems like it requires a subscription to Adobe's Digital Publishing Suite which would be around $5k a year and would require the files to be stored on Adobe's Server which is a no go. It's a shame as it looks great and even had a feature to 'sideload' files directly to an iPad however they have removed that feature...shame!
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

While I think iBooks Author is pretty awesome, my advice is to wait before committing to anything. Apple's new program has sparked a revolution -- hang around a few months and you'll see what I mean, the others need time to catch up.
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Quote:
Intelligently.

Check out the list of apps here.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Intelligently.
I thought about a snarky come back . . . but in the interests of International and Inter-occupational amity, I will refrain.

Whether that is an "Intelligent" thought, I will leave to you . . .

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I thought about a snarky come back . . . but in the interests of International and Inter-occupational amity, I will refrain.
Haha, playing the diplomatic card? Well played.

Obviously I have no reservations about stirring the "occupational pot." Haha.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
Haha, playing the diplomatic card? Well played.

Obviously I have no reservations about stirring the "occupational pot." Haha.
Stir away . . . I shall observe with interest the resulting hostile return fire, if any.

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

There won't be any - people know that educators are those who, aside from possessing candor and great intelligence, have chosen the noblest profession. We are however not a humble group. Haha.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

Quote:
There won't be any - people know that educators are those who, aside from possessing candor and great intelligence, have chosen the noblest profession. We are however not a humble group. Haha.
Personally, I believe all that gravy and cottage cheese on your french fries has clouded your mind . . .

QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

Quote:
Personally, I believe all that gravy and cottage cheese on your french fries has clouded your mind . . .
It's not cottage cheese my good man. That's just preposterous!

It's not clouding the mind but it is clogging the arteries.

Writing a Quality Post
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Saved photos | iTunes problem with updated ipod »