New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Why won't my iphone4 sync anymore to MBP?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sandara

sandara is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.1,Intel Core Duo, 2.3 GHz, 64 bit, 4MB L2 cache, 667 MHz, 100 GB

I have had an iPhone 4 since February and have a MBP 2.1 running Leopard. I have a pretty large iTunes library, including audiobooks. I also have been downloading a lot of Kindle and Nook books directly onto my phone. Up until about 6 weeks ago I was able to back up my iphone but not anymore.

I keep getting asked if I want to upgrade iTunes on my computer and when I say yes, this message pops up:

The media on this iPhone cannot be backed up because there is not enough free space on this computer to hold all of the backed up files (4.78 GB required, 1.90 GB available). Would you like to continue to update this iPhone?

I've tried saying yes, but it tells me it can't do it.
Solutions, anyone?
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.1

Hi there ,welcome by the way,

Take the phone out of the equation (don't connect it) and update iTunes via the Apple website first and see if that helps.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010, WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen,ATV2, Samsung LE40 Series 6, Denon AVR1910, Kef HTS 1001.2s and Kube-1 Sub
Denon DCD510AE, Panasonic DMP-BD60,Sky+HD,Logitech Harmony One Advanced. MOTM October 2012.
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandara View Post
The media on this iPhone cannot be backed up because there is not enough free space on this computer to hold all of the backed up files (4.78 GB required, 1.90 GB available). Would you like to continue to update this iPhone?
Unless I'm mistaken, your problem sounds like exactly what you have said. If you only have 1.9 GB left on your computer then try deleting things you no longer need.

If you don't know how to find out how much space you have left then go to your computer's desktop and right the Macintosh HD icon and then choose Get Info. After that see how much available hard drive space you have left. If it is only 1.9 GB free then start finding files you can delete. Make sure to empty the trash too because files are not deleted until you do.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Less than two GB's free space is about ONE TENTH the amount of free space you should be keeping available AT A MINIMUM for smooth operation of the computer. So yeah, sounds like you seriously need to do a LOT of housekeeping ASAP.
QUOTE Thanks
sandara

sandara is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 2.1,Intel Core Duo, 2.3 GHz, 64 bit, 4MB L2 cache, 667 MHz, 100 GB

Thanks to everyone. I am cleaning house and deleting files and programs I no longer use. I have deleted the obvious ones I know I don't need, but how do I find out which other files are safe to delete (some have names I don't recognize)? I don't want to delete something crucial (been there, done that).
QUOTE Thanks
EndlessMac

EndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the roughEndlessMac is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz 15" MacBook Pro OS X 10.7.x & some old Macs

It would be too long to list everything you shouldn't delete but if you want to be safe you can usually delete files you no longer need from your Documents, Applications, or Download folder.

Check your download folder first because if you haven't cleaned that out yet you'll probably have a lot of unnecessary files leftover. Things in your document and applications folder are things you usually either installed or placed there yourself so you should know what you can and can't delete.

If you still can't find enough hard drive space then you should consider getting an external hard drive and then transferring some of your files other there. For example, moving pictures and videos will free up a lot of your hard drive.

You can also use an app like OmniDiskSweeper to find out what is taking up so much space. That's the program I use.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Broadly speaking, the files that take up the most space on anybody's computer are videos, photos, music (in that order). Apps and their related documents generally don't take up an appreciable amount of space. It's media that's the problem.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Syncing MAIL and iCloud | Syncing iPhone with two computers - a PC and a Mac »