New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

I thought Mail was "just supposed to work"?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 24" Aluminium, 2.8 GHz, 4Gb RAM. iPad2, iPhone4

So my wife managed to get mer Gmail account to work just fine on her new iPad, but trying the same process (Add Account) for her main AOL email she jsut getts that the "Recipient was rejected by the server because it does not allow relaying". The standard searching talk of 'Authentication' with no clue as to what exactly this means. As far as I can see the account settings on th iad all match those that have been suggested via google.

So, can anyone provide a non-technical answer as to to how she can get this to work. No abbreviations or assumptions of prior knowledge of the internals of email please. Thank you.

Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you get.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Have a look at this thread:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Specifically, user "dannopelli's" reply. Just based on what I'm seeing, this is an issue with the configuration of the outgoing (SMTP) mail server setting.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Sawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the roughSawday is a jewel in the rough

Hi cwa107. I had already noted this. Our set up is exactly as stated and we have tried switching wifi off then on again but still no luck. It won't be any use asking aol because they are (a) not our ISP and (b) they are all in India and are useless. Mind you it can't be just AOL as I have the same problem with Hotmail. I should add that we are only using wifi, if that makes any difference.

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I am a little late to this thread so you may have already tried Apple iPad Tablet: Hotmail on iPad. If it works a similar procedure may fork for AOL.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Slydude. Hi - no not tried yet but will as soon as am able. Regards..

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Honestly, if this is just for the iPad, the easiest work around is to forward your AOL and Hotmail mail to your Gmail account and just create a new folder for these so they're separated accordingly.

Otherwise, you may try to set up Hotmail via Exchange, as that usually works when all else fails. Perhaps that would work with AOL too.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Our Gmail and AOL accounts are used for my wifes two jobs, it woud complicate things to have them linked. However, I've just sorted the problem for any other readers who may have this problem. For AOL I turned off the primary server (smpt.aol.com), turned on the next smpt server and changed the user name from xxxx@aol.com to just xxxx. The primary one cannot be amended so that's why you have to set up the second one.

Even though I was in IT for 25 years, I've no idea what SMPT, SSL, Authentication, Server Port or any other email terminology means - it might as well be in Klingon, but at least I now have AOL, gmail and hotmail working and can switch between them. Just need to get my Yahoo email (needed for certain yahoo groups) and my second hotmail account (for internet forums/potential spam) and the jobs done. So anytime soon I'll be a happy bunny. Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction to find the answers.

QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawday View Post
Our Gmail and AOL accounts are used for my wifes two jobs, it woud complicate things to have them linked. However, I've just sorted the problem for any other readers who may have this problem. For AOL I turned off the primary server (smpt.aol.com), turned on the next smpt server and changed the user name from xxxx@aol.com to just xxxx. The primary one cannot be amended so that's why you have to set up the second one.

Even though I was in IT for 25 years, I've no idea what SMPT, SSL, Authentication, Server Port or any other email terminology means - it might as well be in Klingon, but at least I now have AOL, gmail and hotmail working and can switch between them. Just need to get my Yahoo email (needed for certain yahoo groups) and my second hotmail account (for internet forums/potential spam) and the jobs done. So anytime soon I'll be a happy bunny. Thanks to those who pointed me in the right direction to find the answers.
Thanks for sharing your solution.

SMTP is the protocol used for outgoing mail from the client. SSL authentication simply means that the username/password are encrypted. Ports are just the particular port number that a given protocol communicates over. For example, SMTP typically uses port 25 - you sometimes need to change the port to match what the provider uses. POP3 (Post Office Protocol) is for incoming mail. IMAP, essentially supersedes POP3 and has additional features, such as read/unread and delete status synchronization across devices.

Understanding the terminology is important, because once you do, you'll be more effective at troubleshooting issues like this. For email, the most important are SMTP, POP3 and IMAP. Once you know what all three are, the rest is pretty easy to understand.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Sawday

Many thanks.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Closing an Application | iPhone 4S suddenly won't sync to either iCloud or iTunes »