iPod Touch Update with iOS5
    I'm a newbie here on this forum, but have used Mac's for years. But this one has me stumped....I did a quick search but didn't find anything relevant...maybe I didn't look deep enough...forgive me if this has been addressed before or if it's something obvious...

I am religious about updating my Mac's, iPod's, etc., and when updating in iTunes, I get this nice message:

There is NO FREAKIN' WAY I'm gonna lose hundreds of songs, video's, pic's, app's, etc. on my iPod Touch and then re-install them...

So what gives? Is there something in the Settings that I can change to update with the new software without losing everything on my iPod?

Specs:
    2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
    What it's saying is your hard drive is full and it can't complete a backup to your Mac because there is not enough space. Free up some disk space on the Mac and see if you can back up after that. Try Disk Inventory X or OmniDiskSweeper as utilities you can use to find files you don't need and free up some room on your hard drive.

First, thanks for your reply...

With all due respect, I realize that I don't have enough disk space to back up the whole entire iPod...but I was hoping to get around that... Is there a way I can back up to an external drive?

Specs:
    2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad
    Well i did a quick Google search and found mostly stuff on backing up or transferring iTunes library to an external drive, which could be an option. Here's a link I used when I did it awhile back Transferring your iTunes Library | iLounge Article I've never personally tried backing up or transferring data from an iOS device to an external but I did find this link that could help. Ultimate Guide to Backing Up and Exporting iTunes, iPod/iPhone Music Library Maybe someone else will have a suggestion though.

Great, I'll try that...

Again, thank you for your help...

Thread Information