New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPod Touch Update with iOS5

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

psychebilly

psychebilly is on a distinguished road

I'm a newbie here on this forum, but have used Mac's for years. But this one has me stumped....I did a quick search but didn't find anything relevant...maybe I didn't look deep enough...forgive me if this has been addressed before or if it's something obvious...

I am religious about updating my Mac's, iPod's, etc., and when updating in iTunes, I get this nice message:

There is NO FREAKIN' WAY I'm gonna lose hundreds of songs, video's, pic's, app's, etc. on my iPod Touch and then re-install them...

So what gives? Is there something in the Settings that I can change to update with the new software without losing everything on my iPod?
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

What it's saying is your hard drive is full and it can't complete a backup to your Mac because there is not enough space. Free up some disk space on the Mac and see if you can back up after that. Try Disk Inventory X or OmniDiskSweeper as utilities you can use to find files you don't need and free up some room on your hard drive.
QUOTE Thanks
psychebilly

First, thanks for your reply...

With all due respect, I realize that I don't have enough disk space to back up the whole entire iPod...but I was hoping to get around that... Is there a way I can back up to an external drive?
QUOTE Thanks
Lbatson21

Lbatson21 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2011 Mac mini and 2010 13" MacBook Pro, iPhone 4 and iPad

Well i did a quick Google search and found mostly stuff on backing up or transferring iTunes library to an external drive, which could be an option. Here's a link I used when I did it awhile back Transferring your iTunes Library | iLounge Article I've never personally tried backing up or transferring data from an iOS device to an external but I did find this link that could help. Ultimate Guide to Backing Up and Exporting iTunes, iPod/iPhone Music Library Maybe someone else will have a suggestion though.
QUOTE Thanks
psychebilly

Great, I'll try that...

Again, thank you for your help...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone Siri deleting emails off server | ICloud »