Why is my unchecked music in iTunes still syncing to my iPhone?
    I have an iPhone 4 upgraded to IOS5, and I sync with iTunes 10.5 on my iMAC.

I'm seeing the following problem: I purchased an album on my iPhone recently, and then synced with iTunes to transfer this music to the iMAC.

I then later decided to not have this particular music/album on my iPhone, and ensured that this album was "unchecked" as part of the sync settings. When I synced, I presumed that I would see iTunes remove this album off my iPhone, thereby creating more room on the phone. This didn't happen.

I then deliberately deleted this album off my iPhone, and then synced again. I noted that iTunes transferred the album back to my phone, despite the sync settings (unchecked).

I then checked the album...synced...then unchecked again...synced again...to see if that would help. But no luck.

What am I not understanding about the sync process with iTunes and iPhone? Is it something to do with the fact that I purchased the album on the phone versus via iTunes on the MAC?

thx

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    To do what you want, you need to open the Summary tab, head down to the Options section and put a checkmark in the 'Sync only checked songs and videos' option.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

Arggh
    Thank you for the reply, and I would have thought that was the answer - I was excited to try it.

But even after that setting, it seems that iTunes still wants to sync back to my phone any music that I've purchased on my iPhone. Weird...any other thoughts?

I noted that it does this also with a Beatles song I purchased earlier in the week (on my iPhone).

Thank you-

Me also
    I'm having a similar problem! Unchecked songs continue to play on phone. Wtf! Also some purchased and loaded iTunes songs do not play at all. After installation of ios5 music and videos have become an issue of not playing songs I paid for, playing songs I don't want (unchecked) and seemingly random freezes when playing music on shuffle mode. Pls help.

I'm having the same problem. Bump for interest I suppose.

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    After doing what bobtomay said you did sync again correct.

yes, the unchecked songs are still syncing to my iPhone. I think that they are syncing over my wifi network, someone else on my network may be buying songs which automatically sync to my iPhone. Not sure though.

Specs:
    09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
    Quote Originally Posted by dfre View Post
    yes, the unchecked songs are still syncing to my iPhone. I think that they are syncing over my wifi network, someone else on my network may be buying songs which automatically sync to my iPhone. Not sure though.
    Are you using iCloud and check your settings?

Quote Originally Posted by dfre View Post
    yes, the unchecked songs are still syncing to my iPhone. I think that they are syncing over my wifi network,
    Yeah, I'm far from an expert but it sounds like your phone might be syncing through iCloud automatically through your WiFi network. If your phone is set to sync through iCloud AND you sync through iTunes, I believe it results in duplication. Check on phone: Settings>iCloud>Storage & Back-up>iCloud Backup=OFF
    Just a thought....

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    It'll be in the 'purchased on my iPhone' playlist. It's that that's ensuring it's synced.

If you prevent that playlist syncing with your iPhone or remove the playlist from iTunes it will stop re-syncing the tracks.

As an aside I'd also suggest using playlists to sync music rather than checking/unchecking particular particular tracks. Makes things much easier to manage.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Thanks for the responses everyone. I checked my iCloud settings and those are not the problem, my backup is set to off. I also chose to not sync purchases, and I made a new playlist that includes every song I have that is checked. This is a solution to the problem, not the cleanest or most efficient one but it got the job done. Thanks.

Thread Information