New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Why is my unchecked music in iTunes still syncing to my iPhone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bluesjr70

bluesjr70 is on a distinguished road

I have an iPhone 4 upgraded to IOS5, and I sync with iTunes 10.5 on my iMAC.

I'm seeing the following problem: I purchased an album on my iPhone recently, and then synced with iTunes to transfer this music to the iMAC.

I then later decided to not have this particular music/album on my iPhone, and ensured that this album was "unchecked" as part of the sync settings. When I synced, I presumed that I would see iTunes remove this album off my iPhone, thereby creating more room on the phone. This didn't happen.

I then deliberately deleted this album off my iPhone, and then synced again. I noted that iTunes transferred the album back to my phone, despite the sync settings (unchecked).

I then checked the album...synced...then unchecked again...synced again...to see if that would help. But no luck.

What am I not understanding about the sync process with iTunes and iPhone? Is it something to do with the fact that I purchased the album on the phone versus via iTunes on the MAC?

thx
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

To do what you want, you need to open the Summary tab, head down to the Options section and put a checkmark in the 'Sync only checked songs and videos' option.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
bluesjr70

bluesjr70 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for the reply, and I would have thought that was the answer - I was excited to try it.

But even after that setting, it seems that iTunes still wants to sync back to my phone any music that I've purchased on my iPhone. Weird...any other thoughts?

I noted that it does this also with a Beatles song I purchased earlier in the week (on my iPhone).

Thank you-
QUOTE Thanks
Ejrheel

Ejrheel is on a distinguished road

I'm having a similar problem! Unchecked songs continue to play on phone. Wtf! Also some purchased and loaded iTunes songs do not play at all. After installation of ios5 music and videos have become an issue of not playing songs I paid for, playing songs I don't want (unchecked) and seemingly random freezes when playing music on shuffle mode. Pls help.
QUOTE Thanks
dfre

dfre is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same problem. Bump for interest I suppose.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

After doing what bobtomay said you did sync again correct.
QUOTE Thanks
dfre

yes, the unchecked songs are still syncing to my iPhone. I think that they are syncing over my wifi network, someone else on my network may be buying songs which automatically sync to my iPhone. Not sure though.
QUOTE Thanks
osxx

osxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to allosxx is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfre View Post
yes, the unchecked songs are still syncing to my iPhone. I think that they are syncing over my wifi network, someone else on my network may be buying songs which automatically sync to my iPhone. Not sure though.
Are you using iCloud and check your settings?
QUOTE Thanks
FritzDaCat

FritzDaCat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfre View Post
yes, the unchecked songs are still syncing to my iPhone. I think that they are syncing over my wifi network,
Yeah, I'm far from an expert but it sounds like your phone might be syncing through iCloud automatically through your WiFi network. If your phone is set to sync through iCloud AND you sync through iTunes, I believe it results in duplication. Check on phone: Settings>iCloud>Storage & Back-up>iCloud Backup=OFF
Just a thought....
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

It'll be in the 'purchased on my iPhone' playlist. It's that that's ensuring it's synced.

If you prevent that playlist syncing with your iPhone or remove the playlist from iTunes it will stop re-syncing the tracks.

As an aside I'd also suggest using playlists to sync music rather than checking/unchecking particular particular tracks. Makes things much easier to manage.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
dfre

Thanks for the responses everyone. I checked my iCloud settings and those are not the problem, my backup is set to off. I also chose to not sync purchases, and I made a new playlist that includes every song I have that is checked. This is a solution to the problem, not the cleanest or most efficient one but it got the job done. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Help Please | Calendar invites duplicates when accepted »