Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    iMessage v Text Message
    Is loving IOS 5 however since upgrading my iPhone i have noticed that the text messages i send and receive sometimes go as an iMessage (light blue) and/or as a Text Message (normal green as IOS 4)

I can't work out why. i have tried a few variants and even this is inconsistent. i had thought it may be because of the following:
    • It is a new message to a new contact that does not appear in the saved messages list or
    • It is a message sent to another iPhone with IOS 5. (similar to blackberry messaging service)

Anyone else noticed this and if so any advice as to why it is the way it is?

thanks in advance

J

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    iMessages are sent and received between devices that use iOS5

The Message app will look to see if the recipient is setup to receive iMessages. If they are an iMessage will be sent, if they aren't the Message app will drop to SMS.
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.2 i7 + MacBook 2.2 Duo 2 (late 2007) + ATV2 + T/C-2Tb + iPhone4 + iPad2 (64gb wifi)
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    iMessages are sent and received between devices that use iOS5

The Message app will look to see if the recipient is setup to receive iMessages. If they are an iMessage will be sent, if they aren't the Message app will drop to SMS.
    hey mrplow, thanks for that, But that's just it, it's inconsistent. my wife has the same device, ISO 5 and it is sometimes an iMessage and sometimes a Text Message. Weird...

anyway, onwards.....

J

edit ... and sometimes after the iMessage has been sent, about 10mins after, it switches from blue to green, iMessage to Text Message

Specs:
    27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.11, Mac Mini i5 (2014), iPhone6s, Apple Watch, iPad Air 2, New AppleTV (4?)
    Could just be that the 'backend' is a bit swamped at the moment but also worth rembering that iMessages are only used when there's a data connection (EDGE or above).

I don't think it's a general iOS5 issue so much as I've used it since going to the GM seed and it's been 100% throughout (in the UK).
    Not been around these parts for a while. Trying to change that . .

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - bottom left of this post

Specs:
    Quote Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
    Could just be that the 'backend' is a bit swamped at the moment but also worth rembering that iMessages are only used when there's a data connection (EDGE or above).

I don't think it's a general iOS5 issue so much as I've used it since going to the GM seed and it's been 100% throughout (in the UK).
    ah, ok, thanks for that. will keep an eye on it.

cheers

j

Specs:
    mrplow - you are right. found a link from apple

Apple - iOS 5 - See new features included in iOS 5.

cheers

j

I have the iPhone 4. I'm experiencing a similar problem, example: 2 contacts, both with iOS5 on their iPhones. Person A: everything sent and received is iMessage. Person B: everything sent is Text message. Doesn't matter if I (or contacts) are using Wi-Fi or 3G. BTW, Apple's statement says that iMessage works with either connection. So what's up with that?
    One thing we did discover is a setting to turn ON the iMessage feature. Go to Settings, Messages. It's still kinda screwy though!

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    I believe it'll only go via iMessage when there is either 3G coverage, or wifi.

So if you, or the receiver is on Edge, etc.. it'll go as SMS.

I'd also imagine, that if the connection to the server lags it'll go SMS as failover.
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Never heard the term Edge; is it the "E" that I sometimes see? Regardless, my friend and I tested this numerous times, and we're seeing a mix of iMessages and text messages; all of them occurred while either on Wi-Fi or 3G.

Specs:
    Way... way too many specs to list.
    Then call Apple and open a case would be my advice.

Edge was the predecessor to 3g, and yep it's the E .
    mike
    This machine kills fascists
    Got # ? phear the command line!

Thread Information