New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Wouldn't it be nice to have the option?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Braven

Braven is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: (27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)

Wouldn't it be nice to have the ability to turn on and off "system apps" in "Settings"? For instance, I have absolutely no use for the new "Newsstand" app and rather than hiding it on a paige I use for unwanted apps, it would be very convenient to simply turn it off. If you change your mind, you could simply turn it back on. I've been using an iPhone for 3 years and it just now dawned on me that this would be a super nice feature.

 iMac 27" 2.7Ghz i5
 MacBook Pro 15" 2Ghz i7
 iPhone 4 16GB
 iPad (White, 32GB, 3rd Gen)
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

I'd much rather have the ability to delete system apps since technically speaking, they're not "on" unless you use them. Can't imagine they take up much space though, where it would really matter. But then, I suppose that's what Jailbreaking is for, eh?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
vansmith

vansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond reputevansmith has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 13" MBP (2.5 i5, 8GB)

Put them all in a folder and move it to your last page. That's the best you can do.

Important Links: Community Guidelines : Use the reputation system if you've been helped.
M-F Blog :: Write for the blog
Personal Twitter
QUOTE Thanks
RavingMac

RavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond reputeRavingMac has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 4GB Mac Mini 2012, 13" MBA, 15" MacBook Pro OSX 10.7, 32 GB iPhone 3GS, iPad2 64gb 3G

+1 on having the option

I've always wanted to be smart, handsome and modest. But, I guess I'll have to be satisfied with two out of three . . .
QUOTE Thanks
Braven

Braven is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: (27" iMac i5) (2011 15" MacBook Pro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
Put them all in a folder and move it to your last page. That's the best you can do.

Yeah that's what I do. I would love to hear their explanation on why they don't allow us to turn them off and on in "Settings".

 iMac 27" 2.7Ghz i5
 MacBook Pro 15" 2Ghz i7
 iPhone 4 16GB
 iPad (White, 32GB, 3rd Gen)
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

It is an option if you jailbreak - at least to hide the icons. Unfortunately there is only a tethered jailbreak available for iOS 5 currently.
QUOTE Thanks
Maxtcc

Maxtcc is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 27" i7 imac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vansmith View Post
I tried that like I did with many other "crap" apps that won't delete, but it will not go into the folder i have for that issue .
so I just have to relegate it to the last page and ignore it.

Also , I am seeing that iOS5 is daggardly slow and jerky on my touch 4Gen 64 , Anyone else think it is noticably slower, even with shutting down all unused apps via the switch screen (able tap home button)?
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxtcc View Post
I tried that like I did with many other "crap" apps that won't delete, but it will not go into the folder i have for that issue .
so I just have to relegate it to the last page and ignore it.

Also , I am seeing that iOS5 is daggardly slow and jerky on my touch 4Gen 64 , Anyone else think it is noticably slower, even with shutting down all unused apps via the switch screen (able tap home button)?
You can put newsstand in a folder if you're quick. Start by making a folder by pulling one icon over another. As soon as the new folder begins opening, quickly tap on the newsstand icon and drag it in. I got it on one try.

Of course, it makes it unusable while in the folder and will crash/reset springboard if you try to use it in the folder.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Maxtcc

Well I'll try to be faster but 5 mins of trying I gave up before. I won't be using that app, so I will never no if it crashes.
QUOTE Thanks
Maxtcc

update :
on resynch that Darn newstand keeps popping back to the home page.
If I leave it not in a folder, it will stay on page 10 on its own with synching though.
at least it is out of the way then. but Darned annoying not to remove things on my own machines.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braven View Post
Yeah that's what I do. I would love to hear their explanation on why they don't allow us to turn them off and on in "Settings".
Okay, here's an explanation: Apple is encouraging you to try them.

I'm not saying that's my view or that that IS the explanation, but knowing Apple as I do, that's probably the reasoning behind it. They don't lard up your iOS devices with junk apps the way a lot of companies do, but they want you to try out the apps they DO include. If you could turn them off, you'd never turn them back on again most likely -- out of sight, out of mind as the saying goes.

Again, I'm not defending it, just offering a possible explanation.
QUOTE Thanks
Stevetheobscure

Stevetheobscure is on a distinguished road

I, for one, would love it if they gave me more options as to what I want to do with my iPhone. But that's the price you pay for having top of the line technology, I guess.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad updating question | The case of the missing "Reminders" icon »