New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Time Management/Productivity

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

LithePanther

LithePanther is on a distinguished road

Hello all. So ok - this is going to get a bit complicated and long.

The short version is i SUCK at managing my time/getting things done, and I can't seem to find the tools to let me do it. So i'm turning to the macrumors board to help me.

FIRST: How can i delete all calendar data from my ical and icloud? I can't seem to figure it out.

So these are the apps I have:

ical
tempus
mical
reminders
2do
BusyToDo
OmniFocus
Remember the Milk
Todo

**Note** I am using a PC, not a mac

This is what I want, exactly.

**note** if an app listed above fits the bill, please suggest it. If not, suggest an app that does **note**

I want a simple, clean calendar that syncs with ical. I want to use the new calendar to creates tasks instead of using ical, and I also need it to get synced to ical so I can back it up. This is the easy part.

Here's where it gets tricky. I want a to-do list that will allow me to enter things I want to do, assign start/end dates, prioritize, flag as important, all the good stuff you want in a to-do app. What I ALSO want this to-do app to accomplish is sync with ical (and thus the calendar i'm using in place of ical.) What I mean by this is I want to enter a task to do on the 23rd of november, and have my calendar show on the 23rd of november that I have that task scheduled. (If this needs further explanation, I can do so)

Finally, this is the last part. On ios 5's notification center (this is why having syncing to ical while not actually using ical is so important) I want ical to tell me what I have scheduled for the day (which it does automatically. I just need everything to get sync'd to ical) What I also want is for my to-do list to have it's own tasks for the day shown as well.

I don't want to actually use ical, but I want a calendar and to-do list that syncs with ical and shows up in the notification center.

Basically, I want to type something into a calendar (like tempus) and have it show up in ical. Because it's in ical, it will show up in the notification center. I also want a to-do list that I can type stuff into, and have it synced into ical and thus appear in the notification center. I want all this stuff to show up under the "calendar" heading in the notification center.

If I can do it with the apps I already have, I would prefer that. I couldn't seem to figure it out, so I would greatly appreciate someone explaining what I missed/screwed up.

Whew! If you made it this far, I applaud you. This was longer then I thought. I understand this is a very convoluted, personal problem but I appreciate anyone who takes the time to read the entire thread and give me any answer, even if its that it cannot be done.

Thanks in advance!

(when I say ical, i mean the default iphone calendar)
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Yikes you've a lot of stuff there and you would need a management app to organise them! I suggest that you de-clutter and go with say two.... iCal as your default and Reminders (which I am impressed with) is bolted on to it but you may not need even that.
I know that Entourage used to sync with iCal but to be honest you'll be forever looking at two calendars ?!
Perhaps you may want to reappraise your methods. In the old days before computers when I was in sales we used to use a daybook/brought forward system. It worked on the principle that anything that you didn't complete in your daybook (which was a diary or an A4 ledger feint ruled or similar) got carried over into the next day when you started work the next day. You physically wrote the unfinished stuff into the current day or beyond.
The way I use I iCal is to put anything and everything in there that is relevant (appts, to do's, mileages,home,targets etc because you cannot separate work from life) and just drag incomplete stuff into the next day or beyond. Other stuff you have in there in the future will sit there until you come to it.
It makes you focus on closing your day off and beginning a new one. Apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs but if you operate with several layers of task and time management you may spend too much time managing that system than actually 'doing the do'.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
iPhone 5C, iPod Nano 4GB 3rd Gen, ATV2.
MOTM October 2012. These days normally happy with an occasional grumble.
QUOTE Thanks
LithePanther

I can't stand ical. I find it revolting. So I don't want to use it for anything
QUOTE Thanks
BrianLachoreVPI

BrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant futureBrianLachoreVPI has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithePanther View Post
... So i'm turning to the macrumors board to help me.
Then you appear to have made a wrong turn on the internet...

I'm also a little confused by this
Quote:
**Note** I am using a PC, not a mac
...but then my ADHD has already kicked in.
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

pendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of lightpendlewitch is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: iMac 27" Mid 2010, 3.2GHz Intel Core i3,4GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ATI Radeon HD5670 512MB, Mavericks 10.9.4

Quote:
I can't stand ical. I find it revolting. So I don't want to use it for anything
Sorry I couldn't help. I just embraced iCal and use it as a brought forward daybook and diary which is why it is unsophisticated simplicity as Apple intended.

iMac 27-inch Mid 2010 (wow....that old...eeeks!), WD My Book 1TB Firewire,WD My Passport Air 500GB, Magic Mouse,Magic Trackpad,
QUOTE Thanks
LithePanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianLachoreVPI View Post
Then you appear to have made a wrong turn on the internet...

I'm also a little confused by this ...but then my ADHD has already kicked in.
Copy/Paste from another board that couldn't help me.

And some programs only work with Macs, not PCs
QUOTE Thanks
LithePanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendlewitch View Post
Sorry I couldn't help. I just embraced iCal and use it as a brought forward daybook and diary which is why it is unsophisticated simplicity as Apple intended.
So there's no way I can do what I want?

Can I at least sync Reminders with the calendar so they show up under 1 tab in the notification center?
QUOTE Thanks
LithePanther

Bump for the question right ^^
QUOTE Thanks
Chemadian

Chemadian is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP Core i7 2.66 500GB 15" - Mac mini Core i5 2.5 500GB - Iphone 4 32GB - 32GB Ipad 2

Personally i like the Informant app because it keep's my google calendar, iphone, and ipad all up to date. It also has a decent task management system built right in. It also has push notification capabilities so you don't have to deal with ical. Hope this helps!

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
pendlewitch

Quote:
So there's no way I can do what I want?

Can I at least sync Reminders with the calendar so they show up under 1 tab in the notification center?
Reminders can be turned on or off in the notifications centre in Settings/Notifications. When you are setting up the Task in Reminders you need to be fairly specific as to when you want reminding and how, and whether you want it to repeat which is where your brought forward system will come from until it is completed.You can also add notes which is cool.

If you don't specify anything then they won't show at all in Notifications Centre.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad2 & PPC music conflict | iOS 5 consuming more juice? »