New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

My iPhone 3Gs cannot detect my simcard after installing iOS 5.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tompam

tompam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, Macbook Pro, Apple TV, iPhone 4, iPad 2

After updating my iTunes to iTunes 10, I downloaded the iOS 5 software and installed it on my iPhone 3Gs. After restarting, my iPhone 3Gs no longer had a signal so my iPhone could not be activated. It said "No Service" where the signal bar's supposed to be and my iTunes said my iPhone had "no simcard" even if there was. I tried using my simcard on another phone and it had a signal. Then I tried using another working simcard on my iPhone 3Gs and it didn't have a signal. So I conclude that the problem is in my iPhone 3Gs, not in the simcard, and it happened sometime during the installation of iOS 5.

I heard the same thing happened to another iPhone 3Gs. Can anyone help?
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Was the phone jailbroken & unlocked before you updated it?
QUOTE Thanks
clive12

clive12 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Imac 21.5 Inch 3.06 GHZ 4GB Ram 500 Gig HD, Ipad 32 GB, Iphone 4S 16 GB.

I had that when upgrading my Ipad 1 to 4.3.5.

Asked in store and they said it can sometimes happen but to take the sim card out, blow on it and replace it.

I did this and its working absolutely fine but at the worst your Service Provider should be able to replace the sim card.
QUOTE Thanks
tompam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
Was the phone jailbroken & unlocked before you updated it?
At first I thought it wasn't but now that I come to think of it, it could have been jailbroken. Does it make a difference if it was?
QUOTE Thanks
tompam

Quote:
Originally Posted by clive12 View Post
I had that when upgrading my Ipad 1 to 4.3.5.

Asked in store and they said it can sometimes happen but to take the sim card out, blow on it and replace it.

I did this and its working absolutely fine but at the worst your Service Provider should be able to replace the sim card.
Actually I tried using my simcard on another phone and it worked, and I tried using another working simcard on my iPhone 3Gs and it didn't work, so something must have happened to the phone during the installation of iOS 5.

I also tried reinstalling iOS 5 twice. Same result.
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Did you do the iOS5 download within iTunes or did you get it from somewhere else?

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tompam View Post
At first I thought it wasn't but now that I come to think of it, it could have been jailbroken. Does it make a difference if it was?
If it was jailbroken & software unlocked, then you lost the unlock when you updated back to the factory Apple firmware.

Are you in the US? Using a carrier other than AT&T?
QUOTE Thanks
dandtnavarro

dandtnavarro is on a distinguished road

Same thing has happened to me.

I updated to the iOS5, then I hooked up my NON-jailbroken 3GS. After "updating" everything this message appears:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

I took my phone to my carrier, AT&T, and they cleaned the SIM card, didnt work. They replaced the SIM card, it didn't work. Tried to restore my phone, didn't work.

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks
tompam

This is the exact same thing that happened to my 3Gs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandtnavarro View Post
Same thing has happened to me.

I updated to the iOS5, then I hooked up my NON-jailbroken 3GS. After "updating" everything this message appears:

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported.

I took my phone to my carrier, AT&T, and they cleaned the SIM card, didnt work. They replaced the SIM card, it didn't work. Tried to restore my phone, didn't work.

Any advice?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 4S video recording. | How to transfer apps to my Mac »