New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iOS5 on 3GS - Battery Life and Heat Issues

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

vrDUCKin

vrDUCKin is on a distinguished road

I installed iOS5 on my 3GS last night via iTunes (not beta). The battery life is now terrible, and the phone gets very hot.

While I was asleep, it went from ~95% to 5% battery...with no apps running.

So this morning I started disabling a lot of things:
-Weather and stocks widget off
-All social networking/games/etc notifications off
-iCloud and Find my iPhone disabled
-Location services off for most apps, and I haven't used it at all anyway

The phone is still pretty hot, and I can watch the battery indicator drop just sitting at the home screen, with no apps open. It is now plugged in via USB, and is taking a looooong time to charge, despite me not using it at all. The heat is what is really worrying me.

Anyone have any ideas, or experiencing the same thing? I did a bunch of searching and all of the information seems to regard early beta releases.
QUOTE Thanks
mreynolds69

mreynolds69 is on a distinguished road

i am experiencing the same problem. I have a 3Gs and upgraded to iOS 5 and my phone has required to be charged twice since 7:00am this morning. I have disabled all notifications, reminder center, iCloud (this morning before 7am) and the battery is dropping fast. Not very pleased with the performance. In my opinion, the iOS 5 NOT compatible with 3Gs. Cant wait to get home to revert back to 4.3.5 (if thats possible) from my PC.
QUOTE Thanks
mreynolds69

Apple just told me I need to perform a hard restart (home key and top key) and that I need to tap the home key twice to clear all running apps. I was the first she had heard about this problem from...
QUOTE Thanks
mreynolds69

The fix seems to be deleting your email accts and reconnecting them. It worked for me.
QUOTE Thanks
roadlittledawn

roadlittledawn is on a distinguished road

Haven't found a resolution yet, but as soon as I upgraded to iOS5, my phone died in 8 hours. I noticed Bluetooth was turned on, so I turned it off, and turned off most of iCloud syncs, and it still seems to drain pretty quickly without many apps running. Hmm...
QUOTE Thanks
mreynolds69

@ roadlittledawn, follows these instructions:
Delete all email accounts on your iPhone. This doesn't actually delete the account, it merely removes the connection. The new operating system seems to struggle with these old connections (running hot - killing the battery). Add these back after removing them, Idk how this works, but it does. I've been unplugged for about 8 hrs and one itch moderate to heavy use and I am at 52% battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
roadlittledawn

roadlittledawn is on a distinguished road

hey, mreynolds69. yup, sure enough. normal battery life seems to have been restored. os still seems to run kind of slow. saw a bunch of articles that recommended turning off a lot of the new features (especially the notification center), so it doesn't overburden the processor. but then what's the point of the upgrade? argh.

anyway, thanks for the advice
QUOTE Thanks
3dwulf

3dwulf is on a distinguished road

I think the battery drain caused damage to my phone. It won't take a charge now and is completely unresponsive no matter how long I leave it to charge.

When I installed the updates and played around with the now operating system I thought it was great but give me a working phone any day instead
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iCloud registration issue | No 3G connection on iPad after ios5 update »