New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

How to delete photos from photostream once their in the cloud

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

jedi-knight83

jedi-knight83 is on a distinguished road

HI there...

Took me about 6 hrs to update my iphone4 and ipad2 last night thanks to loads of 'internal error' messages and then needing to restart and backing up the phone all over again!!!

Anyway its done now

BUT....

Among other little issues with iOS 5 like why is there no location based reminders on ipad and why when your setting up a location based reminder can you only select an address in the address book and not just enter a google map location... etc...is this big one..

How can you delete photos from photostream?

So I take a photo of my cat... very nice.. uploaded to icloud and available on my ipad.... get sent a txt with a photo of my friends cat... great that seems to auto get sent to icloud and is available across my devices...

... then my friend for a joke sends me a pic of a baboons ar$e and... yep.. you guessed it.. that is also uploaded to icloud and is then on photostream...

So I go to delete the photo from my camera roll... easy... then from photostream....

AH... No delete button!?

Aparently you can log into icloud and reset the photostream... but then I lose all my photos of cats!

Did apple make a simple error of forgetting to give us this basic simple functionality??

PS.... Im not obsessed with cats and monkeys..
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.10, iPhone6, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Pics are are uploaded to photostream when they are saved to your camera roll.

Just receiving a picture in an mms message or email won't automatically send it to your photostream, you have to save it first.

You don't manage photostream in any way (except a 100% reset if required). It holds up to 1000 pictures, each for a a max of 30 days. After which they are auto deleted.

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
jedi-knight83

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post
Pics are are uploaded to photostream when they are saved to your camera roll.

Just receiving a picture in an mms message or email won't automatically send it to your photostream, you have to save it first.

You don't manage photostream in any way (except a 100% reset if required). It holds up to 1000 pictures, each for a a max of 30 days. After which they are auto deleted.
But as soon as you open a pic that been sent via txt it goes into camera roll and thus into photostream

I just think it would have been simple and effective to give us the option to delete one off photos in photostream rather than having to clear them all or wait 30 days.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi,

If you go to photo setting on your iPhone and turn off photo stream then you should see a delete button, once done reactivate it.

If you do not want photos etc in the cloud for 30 days then log into iCloud here icloud.com and choose the app you want to deal with, I have just deleted my cloud photos to test.
QUOTE Thanks
jedi-knight83

actually i lied... simply opening a photo from a txt does not save it into camera roll
QUOTE Thanks
Ventoracing

Ventoracing is on a distinguished road

Photostream seems like a really handy new update but with no ability to delete individual photos from the photostream, what's the point? Who wants a copy of the last 1000 bad cell phone pics you shot over the last 30 days clogging up the cloud?

I sure hope someone fixes this issue and fast...

In the meantime I'm turning OFF photostream...

Michael
QUOTE Thanks
paulthefencer

paulthefencer is on a distinguished road

I found the same situation. I had pictures that I wanted to delete. Thanks to your info I logged into iCloud.com, and re-set my photo stream which deleted all the pictures. Now I think I'll leave photostream off unless I know I'm going to take a picture that I want to definitely keep. Eventually Apple will correct this issue but until then I'll leave it turned off.
QUOTE Thanks
newscribe

newscribe has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2010 Macbook - OS X 10.9 - iPhone 4s - iPod - iPad

Hi paulthefencer,

Your welcome, either we are all missing something and in fact you can delete individual photo`s, or if not I am sure there will be an update fix. All is new and some areas I agree need tweaking. But overall I am very happy with the new iOS.
QUOTE Thanks
xxsullyxx

xxsullyxx is on a distinguished road

Interesting to note, if you take a picture you don't like and delete it out of camera roll within a short amount of time (ie 5 seconds) it wont post to photostream. you know instantly IMO if a picuture is worth saving, and can judge to delete it or not right away.

I just tested that out now because I am as well frustrated with this function and have it off at the moment.

Moral of the story: Don't take a photo at a strip club to text a friend if u have photostream hooked up to a home computer or spouse's iphone!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
MDSizemore

MDSizemore is on a distinguished road

I overlooked paulthefencer's instructions but that does work. Too bad you can't manage individual photos but I guess you could drop the ones you want to keep in the upload folder on your MAC or PC to get them back in the cloud.
QUOTE Thanks
pcdebb

pcdebb is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" MBA, 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3; OS X 10.10

they totally took the ability away, it was much easier in iDisk
QUOTE Thanks
BCTree

BCTree is on a distinguished road

Hey, I'm having this same issue with a couple photos of my gf's butt that I don't want to share.

I've deleted the photos from my iphone, i've turned off photostream and deleted photostream photos on ALL my apple products (iphone, ipad and apple tv) AND i've reset the photostream on icloud.com.... the pictures no longer appear on my phone or ipad but as soon as i fire up my apply tv and turn on the photostream screen saver option, BOOM, my girlfriends butt! i love it but obviously she hates it and i dont care to share with company...

hopefully these will be "auto deleted' from the cloud in 30 days or whatever but with this lack of control and "non-transparency" of the icloud i really hope things change to put us (the user) in control not apple.
QUOTE Thanks
brazuca

brazuca is on a distinguished road

To delete the photos in your photostream is pretty easy. Desable photostream in your device. Log in into your iCloud account and click on your name, click in advanced, click em reset your photostream. No go to your device and enable photostream.

Be advised, by doing this all your pictures will be erased from your photostream. There is no way to delete only one picture.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Apple is said to be working on a future update that will give us all a little more control over Photostream, which is a really neat idea but kind of incomplete at the moment.

In the meantime, you can turn OFF the automatic import of Camera Roll pictures into Photostream, and likewise turn it off in iPhoto. That leaves you with a Photostream folder in iPhoto into which ONLY those pictures you add will become part of Photostream. For now, this is the way I would recommend handling it until the "fix" comes along.
QUOTE Thanks
rabbitjetta

rabbitjetta is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13" Retina Pro, iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod touch 3-5, iMac 27

you can delete all of them by going to your iCloud account on a computer and resetting photo stream and the new ios update is going to allow you to delete single photos.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Using the Cloud | Can I backup and then re-backup forward...? »