Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iOS and Apps (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/)
-   -   iMessenger? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/253244-imessenger.html)

stevo-m 10-12-2011 06:10 PM

iMessenger?

I've just updated my 3GS ... am I missing something? Where's iMessenger?

vansmith 10-12-2011 07:53 PM

It's called "Messages" - it's a green icon with a white speech bubble.

newscribe 10-13-2011 05:55 PM

As vansmith said it is the same icon as text messenger, but now if you look through your text messages for a friend with an iPhone running iOS5 you will now see iMessage in the text input box. But if you choose someone without an iPhone it will say Text Message.

MYmacROX 10-16-2011 10:01 PM

Isn't working for me on my wi-fi only iPad 1st gen (iOS 5). Tried to text my wife's iPhone 4 (iOS 5). Got a message saying her # is not registered with iMessage.

She's tried sending me a message from her phone but all it did was send me an email on the iPad instead. Never showed up in Messages on the iPad.
What are we doing wrong?

Forgot to mention that Messages also won't let me use my gmail account on the iPad. When I tried to set it up in System Preferences, I get the message "Unable to verify email because it is already in use." I had to use my hotmail that I don't really use anymore.

Demapples 10-17-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MYmacROX (Post 1311524)
Isn't working for me on my wi-fi only iPad 1st gen (iOS 5). Tried to text my wife's iPhone 4 (iOS 5). Got a message saying her # is not registered with iMessage.

She's tried sending me a message from her phone but all it did was send me an email on the iPad instead. Never showed up in Messages on the iPad.
What are we doing wrong?

Forgot to mention that Messages also won't let me use my gmail account on the iPad. When I tried to set it up in System Preferences, I get the message "Unable to verify email because it is already in use." I had to use my hotmail that I don't really use anymore.

I had to enter into Messenger preferences all the email addresses we both use and then give the system time to sort them out, even if they individually seemed to verify. About the unable to verify message you got, I find that if I access email on one of my devices then I have to wait a few minutes before I can access that same account from another device.

MYmacROX 10-17-2011 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demapples (Post 1311594)
I had to enter into Messenger preferences all the email addresses we both use and then give the system time to sort them out, even if they individually seemed to verify. About the unable to verify message you got, I find that if I access email on one of my devices then I have to wait a few minutes before I can access that same account from another device.

Yeah, still not working. I shut down my iPad, closed my Mac and tried to set up iMessage on my iPhone 4 using my gmail and it gave me the same message. I have my email on my phone set to push mail only when I open the app. So it's not like it was sending mail to my phone at that moment or anything.

I also sent a test text from my iPhone to my hotmail but all it did was send me an email. Nothing showed up in the Message app on my iPad. This is weird and I'm beginning to suspect it's a random glitch because I've read similar issues in another thread on M-F. I might have to just wait for 5.1.

osxx 10-17-2011 11:18 AM

Also iMesseges will be highlighted in blue and text messages will be green.

Braven 10-17-2011 11:30 AM

I sent both my sons a message in the same text. We're all using iOS 5. When they replied to me, it was like we were in a group chat type thing. Pretty cool.

RustProofCorn 10-17-2011 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MYmacROX (Post 1311682)
Yeah, still not working. I shut down my iPad, closed my Mac and tried to set up iMessage on my iPhone 4 using my gmail and it gave me the same message. I have my email on my phone set to push mail only when I open the app. So it's not like it was sending mail to my phone at that moment or anything.

I also sent a test text from my iPhone to my hotmail but all it did was send me an email. Nothing showed up in the Message app on my iPad. This is weird and I'm beginning to suspect it's a random glitch because I've read similar issues in another thread on M-F. I might have to just wait for 5.1.

are you using the same apple id on the ipad as you are on the iphone?

MYmacROX 10-17-2011 12:06 PM

Yup, same Apple ID on my iPhone, wife's iPhone and our iPad. It's the only one we've ever used for everything.

I noticed for iCloud, your Apple ID has to be an email address. The one I'm trying to use with Messages isn't an email address. Could that have something to do with it?

RustProofCorn 10-17-2011 12:25 PM

that is why you cant use that email with your imessages because it is tied to the apple id on your phone. you can use the apple id on your ipad for purchases but not for facetime or imessages.

MYmacROX 10-17-2011 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RustProofCorn (Post 1311724)
that is why you cant use that email with your imessages because it is tied to the apple id on your phone. you can use the apple id on your ipad for purchases but not for facetime or imessages.

I see... so I need a separate apple ID that is an email address for iMessage on my iPad? I wish that was clearly explained on the iOS page on Apple's website.

RustProofCorn 10-17-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MYmacROX (Post 1311791)
I see... so I need a separate apple ID that is an email address for iMessage on my iPad? I wish that was clearly explained on the iOS page on Apple's website.

i had this same problem when i went to try and use facetime on my ipad2. i called apple which is the only way i figured anything out. or maybe it was my mbp i cant remember anyways. you can still use your original apple id to put purchases on your ipad but to use facetime or imessages it has to change.

MYmacROX 10-17-2011 04:20 PM

Ok, interesting. Well I set it up on my iPhone and my iPad using the Apple ID I created many months ago for the "Find my iPhone" service. I was able to send texts back and forth between the two. Had to adjust something on the iPad because at first it wanted to send it as a voice mail? Something like that but I tapped and held down on the alert and it allowed me to send as a text. The whole thing seems more complicated to set up than it should be. I don't really care since I have unlimited texting on my mobile plan. I just wanted to send texts to my wife from my iPad when I'm at home cause I like the bigger screen.