Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iOS and Apps (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/)
-   -   Siri on iOS devices other than iPhone 4S? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/252479-siri-ios-devices-other-than-iphone-4s.html)

Ctrl-Opt-Del 10-05-2011 12:29 PM

Siri on iOS devices other than iPhone 4S?

I noticed that in the 'Introducing iPhone 4S' email from Apple it says "Siri is available only on iPhone 4S"; is that literal, in that it will only be available on that one device, or does that only refer to it not being available on any preceding model of iPhone?

As many people use iPod touches & iPads as PDAs, it would make sense to be able to talk to them like an electronic secretary; and they do all have A5 processors now the iPt is in its 5th iteration*...

*(Well, I'm assuming the iPod touch 5G has an A5 processor too)

mrplow 10-05-2011 01:11 PM

It needs a hefty processor like the A5 and a near always-on internet connection which are two good reasons it's iPhone 4s specific.

But I suspect the main reason is to have a unique selling point for the iPhone4s. iOS 5 offers loads of new features for the past two generations of iDevices so they have to keep something to drive new sales

Ctrl-Opt-Del 10-05-2011 01:41 PM

Ah, I didn't know about the requirement for a continual net connection, and I see what you mean about it being a USP for the iP4S...

Still, maybe when they release the iPhone 5 - which will obviously have Siri too, making it less unique - it might be available on the 3G (possibly 4G by then?) version of the iPad 3, likely to be released at a similar time to the iP5...

ImageX 10-05-2011 02:01 PM

Siri on iPhone 4?

IvanLasston 10-10-2011 10:01 PM

The original Siri Assistant worked fine on the iPhone 4. Heck it worked fine on the iPhone 3GS. It doesn't have the full voice integration across everything like the new Siri does - but as far as recognizing voice and converting to text - the iPhone 4 worked fine. I'm not arguing for or against keeping it on the iPhone 4s only - I'm just saying I was quite satisfied with my experience with Siri Assistant on the iPhone 4. I still use it from time to time. I have no idea what upgrades they did to the software - but since it is now used for full voice control of the entire system it probably needs more hardware than the iPhone 4.

It does tell me - every time I start up - that there is an upgrade for Siri on the iPhone 4S - thanks for rubbing it in - but I still have 1.5 years on the contract.

Doug b 10-10-2011 11:19 PM

The bottom line is that SIRI was once JUST an app. It is no longer JUST an app. There are hardware components needed, which only the 4s has which make SIRI what it is.

Doug

MacLicious 10-15-2011 05:28 PM

Now there's an app I'd be willing to pay a significant price for if it would work on my ip4.

IvanLasston 10-16-2011 03:59 AM

Well it looks like they shut down the service for the App - so it doesn't matter anyway.

WolfsBane 10-27-2011 06:08 PM

Looks like the mood is getting uglier among Mac users that previously had the Siri app, and found out that Apple made the decision to remove that app from the store, and shut down the servers that were supporting the application. I know this was a business decision by apple to buy off the company, and to make Siri a selling point for the iPhone 4s, but a lot of users, (and many of them paid to purchase the app, and now can't use it), are seriously disgusted with the company right now. The general gist about buying the iphone4s as far as they are concerned is not only no... but HECK NO, since they are now being forced by Apple to look at alternate personal assistants for devices other than the iPhone 4s.

Personally, I have no plans to upgrade my mobile devices every flipping year or otherwise lose the apps that I have just because Apple thinks I should do so.