App to restict access to wifi
    I have an enterprising teen who enjoys his iPhone at hours that are not in his best interest. He is required to check his phone in at 10 pm, but occasionally it migrates to his room at 2:00 am or so. He has also been known to connect with friends during school hours. I utilize Verizon's parental controls to restrict the hours he can access Verizon's network, but he is still able to communicate via wifi. Is there a way to restrict wifi access (time and particular wifi networks), either via an app or other means? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fort Worth, Texas
    27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, iPhone 6+, 3 iPods, El Capitan
    I don't think so, at least I'm not familiar with anything that can restrict WiFi access at certain times of day. The same holds true for any particular WiFi network.

Reading, UK
    15" MBP, 2.5GHz i7, 750GB, 6770M 1GB, iPad 3, iPhone 4, custom PC
    turn the router off.
    If you find a post helpful, don't forget to use the reputation system (top right of post.)
    Join us in the IRC! How? Add me on Steam, Origin or PSN (Vita): robduckyworth

March 2011 15" MBP 2.3GHz i7 Quad Core 8GB Ram | Mid 2011 27" iMac 3.4 GHz i7 16 GB RAM 2 TB HDD
    Yes - I believe it's called discipline. The next time it finds its way to his room at 2am - he loses it for a month. Good luck.

Thank you for the replies. Turing off the router at home is an option, but one that is not possible at school. And yes, discipline is necessary; however I'm attempting to limit choices to only good ones, as I believe that positive discipline will reap greater gains (and learning) than sanction. Its also better to stay ahead than to try and play catch up, especially with tech savvy children.

Is there a market for an app out there? Just a thought.

Near Whitehorse, Yukon
    2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
    If they are as tech savvy as you say they are, a app isn't going to stop them because there are plenty of ways to delete it even with the iOS Parent Controls turned on.
    Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
    Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
    The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

Get them a pay as you go phone for school only, and make them responsible for the $$

What don't you give it a shot with the "Restrictions" menu, i.e., set a passcode and toggle off the Safari to start with?

Let him know about that, give him the reason, be explicit and see how he reacts and how it works.

I do not claim that this is THE SOLUTION, still it is a partial option. apple a day keeps the doctor away... garlic a day keeps everybody away... APPLE all days keeps nuisance away...

Thread Information