New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

ipad app suggestions/questoins

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ipad-meister

ipad-meister is on a distinguished road

Greetings all. New to the mac forums (in fact, I've never owned an apple product). With that said, I'm seriously considering picking up a new ipad within the next month or so. I'm an associate pastor of a church (a big part of my job is music related) and I'm wondering what apps you'd recommend for me. Anything from professional/organizational to gaming would be appreciated. (Concerning gaming, I'm wondering if there are any music-game apps that allow songs from my itunes library to be played in-game...kind of like audiosurf.)

As a side note, I see rumors of a new ipad potentially coming out this fall, or at least a 3.0 next spring with a resolution 2 x that of the current ipad. If/when I purchase an ipad, I hope it to last at least 2 years for me, if not 3. With that being said, would it be best to pull the trigger now, or wait until the apple pc in September to see what kind of product(s) may be offered as early as this fall?
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

What kind of music apps? For creation and recording, it is hard to beat GarageBand for iPad ($5). Can't talk on the games part, never looked into those.

As for waiting - Murphy's Law of Electronics:
The day after you buy your equipment the next model will be announced/released.

The longest I would wait would be to see if they actually refresh the current iPad 2 to include new screens. No matter what iPad you get, expect at least 3 years of use, if not more, before getting the battery replaced. As for being able to use it, there should be no reason you cant. Now, upgrading the iOS will stop after a certain point and that is expected of any computer at the end of support life. My iPod Touch (Gen1) still works fine, I can still get apps for it but they have to be useable on iOS 3. iPod Touch Gen 1 does not support iOS 4.

you can go into iTunes without having a device and search for apps and stuff at any time. Or even better, use Appshopper.com and build a wishlist.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Most games will let you substitute your iTunes library for the built-in music.
QUOTE Thanks
MacPastor

MacPastor will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 27' iMac, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i5, 16GB Ram. 10.8.2 OSX

Being a senior pastor (although not senior in age LOL) my iPad (first gen) has been invaluable to me.

I do all my devotionals on it each morning as well as read books through Logo's free app that lets me access my Logo's library.

I preach from it each Sunday which helps a lot because I don't have pages of notes that I'm trying to keep straight.

There is just so much that you can do with it for ministry that I have NO problems recommending it for ministry purposes. I don't believe you'll be disappointed at all.

As far as when to pull the trigger, not sure I'll be much help there. I'm pretty new to the Mac world (having just bought my first Mac computer a little over a month ago) so I'm not that familiar with Apples release strategy.
QUOTE Thanks
ipad-meister

ipad-meister is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacPastor View Post
Being a senior pastor (although not senior in age LOL) my iPad (first gen) has been invaluable to me.

I do all my devotionals on it each morning as well as read books through Logo's free app that lets me access my Logo's library.

I preach from it each Sunday which helps a lot because I don't have pages of notes that I'm trying to keep straight.

There is just so much that you can do with it for ministry that I have NO problems recommending it for ministry purposes. I don't believe you'll be disappointed at all.

As far as when to pull the trigger, not sure I'll be much help there. I'm pretty new to the Mac world (having just bought my first Mac computer a little over a month ago) so I'm not that familiar with Apples release strategy.
Thanks. And yes, as an avid Logos user, having access to my entire Silver Edition library on the go is a big reason for me getting an ipad. Whether for small groups, teaching, or working with the music/arts team, I see the ipad being a great investment for ministry use. Thanks for sharing.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App for Personal Trainers | One iTunes: Multiple AppleIDs and iPads »