New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Delete mail on iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

neilf

neilf is an unknown at this point

Hi all,
Can someone educate me on this.
It would appear that when I delete an email from my iPhone, it is immediately deleted from that account on the ISP server.
Is this the normal function?
If so, is it possible to delete mail from iPhone, but leave it on the server?
Any help appreciated.

Neil
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Configure Apple iOS (iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch) Device

Talks about that setting toward the bottom of the page.
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

Thanks for the reply but.....
i know about that setting (delete from server) and I have it set to "never".
Yet my emails are being deleted.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

If you are using an IMAP server, then what you do on the iPhone (read, forwarded, deleted) is replicated on the server.
QUOTE Thanks
neilf

I am using POP3 not IMAP. So I'm still confused as to why my emails get deleted from my ISP server when I delete them on my iPhone4
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

POP3 is designed for email to be handled by a single machine. Through preferences, you can set it to handle the concept of more than one machine, but that's not really what it was designed for.

So, in POP, one of the machines that is checking the email is the "primary machine," the one that after IT checks the email, the email is deleted off the server (remember -- POP is not designed to store email on the server, no matter what prefs you have set, and ISPs have different rules about whether they will store ANY of your email -- and for how long -- once your primary machine has accessed it).

It sounds like the root of the problem is that your iPhone 4 has become the primary machine.

I'm sure someone more familiar with the intricacies of POP3 manipulation can find a solution to the problem, but in the meantime just set your email account (via the webmail interface) to forward everything to a free GMail IMAP account, and set your machines to all check the IMAP account only. Problem solved permanently.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Looking for app that gives stock alerts | Reminder App »