New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Confused about iCloud

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Narpstar

Narpstar is on a distinguished road

Hey dudes,

So I don't really get iCloud. I'm excited about it, but only because Apple are good at making me feel that way. I don't actually understand how it will work.

One concern of mine, after looking at the little animation on iCloud.com, is that all of the music I buy on iTunes will be instantly downloaded onto all of my iDevices. Is that right? The following statement definitely makes it sound that way:

"iCloud stores your music, photos, apps, calendars, documents, and more. And wirelessly pushes them to all your devices automatically".

That's gonna chew through my data like nuts! My phone data is capped at 2GB, and I'm charged exorbitant prices for every kb after that 2GB. Or is does it only "wirelessly push them" to my iDevices when connected to Wifi? Or is "push" just a weird way of saying "download upon request"? Or is there something I'm not getting?

Your help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

We don't know exactly how it works yet. No one that can talk about it has iOS 5 yet. Have read that you'll be able to turn it off though. Am sure we'll get more news the closer we get to the actual release of iOS5 in the fall.

Plus, consider how much of that stuff do you really do when your iDevice is not connected via wifi.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I upgraded some previous music purchases to iTunes+format last week shortly after upgrading iTunes to 10.3. Shortly after the music download started I got a push notification on both iPhone and iPad about the download.

Like the OP I too have data plan limits. All I had to do was go to settings and choose Store. From there I could control whether downloads were off or on for both music and apps or turn off the option to download purchases via cellular network. I assume the cloud will behave similarly.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

I'm hoping that there at least is an option to push music only via wi-fi. If not, I won't be using that feature. It'll be just too easy to chew right through these limited data plans otherwise.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu). Also advise us if you have any antivirus or "cleaning" software installed on your Mac. If you are using MacKeeper, you are hereby advised to uninstall it.
------
Links to commonly recommended software and instructions: Onyx | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | How to reveal the User Library
------
Having issues with Safari? Adware is on the rise. See this guide on how to remove it: The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I updated quite a bit of music a couple of days ago to the iTunes Plus format. I did the update from my Mac. When I got the push notification on mu iPhone and iPad I was worried about my data plan as well.

The good news is that you can control how this feature behaves. On your iPhone/iPad go to settings. Fron there choose Store and you can choose whether to update music or Apps. There is also a Cellular option there which when set to off seems to result in updates only occurring when you are on wi-fi. I assume the cloud will behave similarly.

Mods feel free to delete this post since it essentially repeats my previous post. . I was typing in another window and did not realize I reposted here. I had intended to post this elsewhere

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
ScorchD7

ScorchD7 is on a distinguished road

Removed.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Just a reminder for discussions related to iOS 5.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iphone/ipod touch wifi booster app in development! | Migrating iOS devices from Windows to Mac OSX »