Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iOS and Apps (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/)
-   -   Is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE for iPad to play flash? (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/239862-there-any-way-possible-ipad-play-flash.html)

fdcampbell16 05-30-2011 05:45 PM

Is there ANY WAY POSSIBLE for iPad to play flash?
 
I just got an iPad 2 and I am really starting to feel the pain of not having flash. I constantly think about that PlayBook commercial where they are rubbing in our faces that it has "Flash!...Aahhhh!"

I searched the Appstore to see if maybe there was some kind of add-on or something but I don't seem to have any luck.

vansmith 05-30-2011 07:01 PM

What you're looking for is Skyfire. Some around here have used it so I'll let them chime in about the quality.

Kash 05-30-2011 07:43 PM

If you jailbreak, there's an application called Frash that will enable Flash playback within Safari.

chas_m 05-30-2011 09:15 PM

1. Wow, really? I haven't missed it at all. Particularly not the annoying animated ads. Nope, haven't missed that a bit. What specifically are you needing Flash for?

2. Skyfire, meh. Take a look at iSwifter.

brigrat 05-30-2011 10:03 PM

I just tried iSwifter as suggested, and it worked great. There is one website that I have to go to for work that is Flash based. iSwifter took care of things for me.

fdcampbell16 05-30-2011 10:21 PM

Thank you!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by vansmith (Post 1244877)
What you're looking for is Skyfire. Some around here have used it so I'll let them chime in about the quality.

Thank you.

fdcampbell16 05-30-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1244948)
1. Wow, really? I haven't missed it at all. Particularly not the annoying animated ads. Nope, haven't missed that a bit. What specifically are you needing Flash for?

2. Skyfire, meh. Take a look at iSwifter.

Flash-based websites like C. S. Bronner Books.

chas_m 05-31-2011 04:58 AM

fd:

I see what you mean, but there is absolutely nothing on that site that they couldn't be doing easily *and more compatibly* with HTML5. There are HOW many iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads out there?? Seems to me they are losing a LOT of potential business.

Someone should really drop them a note to explain the reality of 2011 to them. I don't mean they should drop Flash (though they should probably consider it) -- I mean they should also offer an HTML5 version of the site at the very least.

bobtomay 05-31-2011 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fdcampbell16 (Post 1244970)
Flash-based websites like C. S. Bronner Books.

??? There is nothing on that web site except to tell you if you want to buy the only ebook thus far written by this author to go to the iBookstore (huh, what do you know, they are aware of the iDevices) or the Kindle book store to buy it.

MYmacROX 05-31-2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1244948)
1. Wow, really? I haven't missed it at all. Particularly not the annoying animated ads. Nope, haven't missed that a bit. What specifically are you needing Flash for?

I completely agree. I even have Flash turned off on my MBP with an extension called Click To Flash. It's refreshing not to have those distracting ads show up when I'm on a website. Those things are a sensory overload.

Kash 05-31-2011 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1245075)
fd:

I see what you mean, but there is absolutely nothing on that site that they couldn't be doing easily *and more compatibly* with HTML5. There are HOW many iPhones, iPod Touches and iPads out there?? Seems to me they are losing a LOT of potential business.

Someone should really drop them a note to explain the reality of 2011 to them. I don't mean they should drop Flash (though they should probably consider it) -- I mean they should also offer an HTML5 version of the site at the very least.

This is exactly the reason why I made sure the website for my family business was not made with Flash, like many of our competitors have been doing because Flash sites are cheaper to have made. We did this way back in 2008 as I knew Flash is annoying and unavailable on many mobile devices. Many of our customers love that our website works on their phones unlike those of our competitors.

Silverado 07-03-2011 02:07 AM

I'm shopping for a new truck right now, and just about everything on every automakers' website is Flash. It has been irritating to have no ability to view the content on my iP4.

Lifeisabeach 07-03-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverado (Post 1260944)
I'm shopping for a new truck right now, and just about everything on every automakers' website is Flash. It has been irritating to have no ability to view the content on my iP4.

I've noticed that too. You'd think the automakers, if anyone, would want to ensure that their sites can be viewable on the latest, hottest devices. It absolutely confounds me that they have yet to get with it.

chas_m 07-07-2011 07:26 AM

I forgot to mention in my previous post that although iOS devices don't support Flash, if you want to find out WHY ... try running Flash on mobile devices that DO claim to support it!

We just got through testing a bunch of them -- and the word "sucks" and another word meaning "bottom" were used VERY LIBERALLY in our testing. Flash RUNS -- more like "strolls idly by" on some phones and tablets, but never EVER *runs* as in performs *anything* like a desktop. Oh, and did I mention it heats up devices like a sauna, kills battery life and causes crashes?

Flash is still at this point a MISERABLE mobile experience, even on devices where it is claimed to run well. At best I'd call it mediocre, with a lot of system "baggage" that is unacceptable in a work environment. Maybe in another year or two Adobe will have worked out the problems, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Steve was, ultimately, right about them, and about Flash.

I might add that some of the devices we tested had processors more powerful than the iPhone 4 or the iPad -- at least on paper -- and they ALL struggled with Flash. That tells you the whole story right there.

safarisurfer 07-12-2011 08:47 PM

to get around it i used a remote desktop app. i log into my desktop and start safari and surf from there. all flash works and is streamed to the ipad.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.