New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

I need to record a phone interview. Help?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

justswitched2

justswitched2 is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone.

I'm currently interning at a magazine and was given the assignment of doing a phone interview later today (in 5 and a half hours, to be exact). The iPhone being the iPhone, I assumed it would have the ability to record calls easily, especially since this is a standard feature on most phones. Ever since I woke up this morning and started searching for the right app, I've found nothing helpful. And before any legal discussion starts, YES, I've already informed the person I'm interviewing through email that they will be recorded.

Everything I find on google is outdated. Options that seem to work are ridiculously expensive. This is a one-time thing for me, so I don't want to pay $30 for 120 minutes of recording time (from RecordiaPro) or be charged $1 a minute for calls. I can see this lasting around 40 minutes, and I'm broke.

Recorder app seemed like it held promise, but when I read the reviews, a lot of people said that it was a scam and that they spam you. Others said you have to pay per minute and that even after you pay it doesn't work.

Long story short: anyone know of any tricks or apps that can do this? Oh yeah, the call will be an incoming one (the person's agent would give me a phone number), so apps that only record outgoing ones won't work.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 13" MB 2.4ghz, 2gig ram, OS 10.7.5

Since you work at a magazine...don't you have co-workers that do the same thing from time to time. What do they do...they use?

- Nick

- Computer slow, too many "beachballs", read this: Beachballs
- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
- Almost full hard drive? Some solutions. Out of Space
- Apple Battery Info. Battery
QUOTE Thanks
justswitched2

I don't work there; I just intern there. I'm out of state for the summer (the internship is for college and located in the same place as my school) so they can't help me anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

pigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond reputepigoo3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by justswitched2 View Post
I don't work there; I just intern there. I'm out of state for the summer (the internship is for college and located in the same place as my school) so they can't help me anyway.
Do they have e-mail or use telephones? You don't have to be physically located in the same place to be able to ask questions.

As an intern it's part of your job to learn & ask questions. I only mention this...since the answers they give you may be more appropriate...and asking questions can help build a relationship with the company you're currently interning for.

- Nick

- Computer seems slower than it used to? Read this for some speedup tips: Speedup
QUOTE Thanks
justswitched2

Well I already sent an email to my supervisor, but it usually takes her a couple of days to answer back. As for calling, she specifically says: don't.
QUOTE Thanks
pigoo3

Quote:
Well I already sent an email to my supervisor, but it usually takes her a couple of days to answer back. As for calling, she specifically says: don't.
Ok...I was just trying to throw some other ideas your way...just in case you don't get an answer here (in time) that solves things. Hopefully you're also scouring the internet for other solutions...and not just waiting for the answer to "pop up" here.

I don't know if any of these solutions are free...but something to look into:

Guide to iPhone Call Recording

HTH,

- Nick

QUOTE Thanks
justswitched2

None of those options worked for me. I have a Google Voice account, but it wouldn't do anything. I ended up having to buy a cheap recorder and put the conversation on speaker so that both our voices would be captured.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

What phones allow you to easily record a conversation? I've never seen one.

They don't make it easy on purpose since in most states it's illegal to tape record a conversation without the permission of the person you're recording. A lot of people would get in trouble if it were easy.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
justswitched2

Nokia phones have this capability. My mom owns a cheap phone, I don't know what kind but it's from ATT, that has this function built in. Most of my phones before the iPhone were cheap and they could all do it easily. And from what I've read on the internet all day today, it seems most phones can do it.

As for the legality, the majority of states actually DON'T require you to let the other person know. Only eleven states require that.

I also hear there are other countries in existence on the planet besides the United States, which don't have the same laws. Shocking, huh?

In my opinion, it's a completely idiotic move on Apple's part.
QUOTE Thanks
Lifeisabeach

Lifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond reputeLifeisabeach has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac i3 (mid-2010) + OS 10.9; TV 3; iPhone 5S; iPad 4

Quote:
Nokia phones have this capability. My mom owns a cheap phone, I don't know what kind but it's from ATT, that has this function built in. Most of my phones before the iPhone were cheap and they could all do it easily. And from what I've read on the internet all day today, it seems most phones can do it.

As for the legality, the majority of states actually DON'T require you to let the other person know. Only eleven states require that.

I also hear there are other countries in existence on the planet besides the United States, which don't have the same laws. Shocking, huh?

In my opinion, it's a completely idiotic move on Apple's part.
Completely idiotic? They sell every single iPhone they can make. I'm pretty sure their customers aren't abandoning the platform in droves over missing this feature.

Please verify and include the exact model/year of your Mac and OS X version number (available from "About This Mac", then "More Info" on the Apple menu).
------
Links: Onyx | EasyFind | Apple Hardware Test | How to test your hard drive | The Safe Mac Adware Removal Guide | Uninstall MacKeeper
------
Lifeisabeach - Mac-Forums Member of the Month June 2009, Feb 2012, and March 2013.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Accidently deleted "photos" or "camera roll" button from iphone home screen. | HELP Iphone 3GS Recovery mode »