New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Sync two computers & Touch without cloud

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

JackPollack

JackPollack is on a distinguished road

Without getting into all the minor details I am thinking about getting an iPod Touch to use as a contacts and calendar database. I need a semi secure way of keeping this data and not syncing it with the cloud. I do need to sync with both my home and work computer. All other features: apps, email, web, iTunes are not necessary for this project.

I want to do a wired sync between the PC and the iPod Touch which I know I can do through iTunes. The question is can I sync contacts and calendar between two PC's (via iTunes) or am I going to get the message that the device is synced with a different library (if it makes a difference I can even disable syncing music)?

If it cant be done through iTunes, anyone have any ideas how I can keep contacts and calendar in sync between two PC's and an iPod Touch (3rd party syncing app maybe)?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Deckyon

Deckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really niceDeckyon is just really nice
Mac Specs: MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM

Best recommendation I can come up with if the cloud (like gmail), put out the $6 / month for a full-fledged Microsoft Exchange email account. I have had one on 1and1.com for the last 6 years and have had nothing but success with it. It is NOT a cloud-based system, but one that is encrypted from server to client. I have my MBP, iPad and iPod Touch (rarely used anymore) all sync'd up securely instantly. Make a change on one, the change is replicated on each device automatically with no need to work with outside software unless you want to use MS Outlook. I have Office:mac 2011 with Outlook and love it. You can also view your email, contacts and calendar through any web browser with Outlook Web Access.

Exchange keeps Email, Contacts and Calendar data and keeps it securely.

MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB RAM
MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM, AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256MB RAM
iPhone 5S 64GB, iPad Gen3 32GB WiFi, iPod Nano Gen6 8GB, Apple TV 3 & 2
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPod 4th Gen SUCKED DRY | Is there any web-key breaker app??!! »