New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Desktop Controlling From iPhone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Sub-Zer0

Sub-Zer0 can only hope to improve

Hey, I'm looking at Jump Desktop for 19.99 and it looks good. However some questions on it. Will I be able to play online poker through my iPhone with it? Does my computer have to stay on to connect? And will it work for my Macbook?

Thanks, please no degenerate gambling warning posts -_-, I play .01/.02 online for fun.
QUOTE Thanks
Randy B. Singer

Randy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to allRandy B. Singer is a name known to all

There are lots of programs that will allow you to control your Mac remotely from your iPhone. May I recommend that you try a free one before you resort to one that you have to pay for? Here is a favorite of mine:

Telekinesis, a Google Code project, works well with Snow Leopard, and it's free.

Basically it's a server application you download and run on your Mac. Then you connect to it using Safari on your mobile device; you don't need any other software.

Once connected, which only requires entering https://your-mac's-address:5010, you can do the following:
- View and manipulate your Mac's screen (similar to using a VNC client)
- Take and immediately view pictures with your iSight camera on your Mac
- Do spotlight searches on your Mac
- Launch any application on your Mac.
- Open any documents, like PDFs, that Safari can display. This also means you can open media files that will stream and play in Safari.
- Other stuff: a remote that can run iTunes or whatever; run Terminal; run scripts (it accesses any scripts you have in ~/Library/Scripts.

All in all, pretty handy. And did I say it was free?
telekinesis - Remotely access your Mac through a collection of mini web apps on your phone - Google Project Hosting

Randy B. Singer

Mac OS X Routine Maintenance http://www.macattorney.com/ts.html
QUOTE Thanks
mrplow

mrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond reputemrplow has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i7 (2011) 10.9, iPhone5s, iPad Air, AppleTV2

Yes the client machine has to stay on.

I recommend LogMeIn Ignition (a paid for iPhone app) used with a free LogMeIn account.

I've also had go experience with TeamViewer.

Both will allow you to do nearly everything you could do whilst sat in front of your machine. The only limitation is the speed of the connection so video and full screen intensive gaming (fps's etc) aren't really suitable remote desktop apps.

You should be absolutely fine with online poker

External hard disk acquisition addict - but admitting the problem is the first step to a robust backup

Please use the reputation system if you think you've been helped - top right of this post
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm a huge fan of Screens:

Screens - VNC Client for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow View Post

You should be absolutely fine with online poker
So, you mean I could be playing full tilt whilst out and about and actually making some cash in my spare time?

Plays ok over 3G?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Sub-Zer0

Sub-Zer0 can only hope to improve

Thanks, and what about using edge?
QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

Edge would be like pulling teeth. Pretty much any data intensive app or even web browsing on Edge would be tough. I know when I drop to Edge on AT&T websites would barely work - I would doubt that any desktop controlling app would be usable at those speeds unless you were using a text based interface - and even then it would be a struggle.

Same is true on 1xRTT - might as well drive there and do what you need - it would be quicker.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Wow, seriously? NO iPad video chat options for talking to PC users? | Constant White Screen »