New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone 4 hotspot help

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Terry2124

Terry2124 is on a distinguished road

I have it enabled and it works..... But...

For devices to see it, it doesn't broadcast unless I turn off the hotspot then turn it back on again. I am using an iPad 2 and an iPad 1, MacBook pro and a Dell laptop (company computer). They all work but again I must turn the hotspot off then back on.

Any fix or suggestions?

Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
iFester

iFester is on a distinguished road

I'm having the same issue. I'm running my iPhone 4 (4.3.1) hotspot to give my iPad 2 3G 64gb (4.3.1) Internet and from time to time I have to toggle off/on the hotspot. Would love to find a fix...
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Probably not what either of you want to hear but from the looks of it I think it's quite a large problem that many people are having, probably something that will get addressed in the next iOS update.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
iFester

Has anyone found a fix? This is the only real thread on this that I have found... It seems to be worse when iPhone is under 30% battery life.
QUOTE Thanks
iFester

just found, going to try it now and will report back in a few hours...

If you encounter an issue using Personal Hotspot with other Wi-Fi devices, try the following:

Turn Personal Hotspot off.
Verify Wi-Fi is on in Settings > Wi-Fi.
Turn Personal Hotspot back on.
If another device is unable to join your Wi-Fi network, ensure that the user enters the Wi-Fi password correctly. If the device cannot see your Wi-Fi network, verify your device name.
Note: Windows may not properly display a device name that uses non-ASCII characters.
Verify how many devices are currently using your Personal Hotspot. The maximum number of devices is five for all connection types.
Depending on your wireless carrier, the maximum number of Wi-Fi connections may be limited to three Wi-Fi devices at one time.
If the other device still cannot connect, try turning Wi-Fi off and on again on the device. Verify that your device can see other Wi-Fi networks.
Note: If you leave the Personal Hotspot screen or put iPhone to sleep, iPhone only broadcasts the Wi-Fi network for an additional 90 seconds. If no devices join the Wi-Fi network during that time, iPhone 4 stops broadcasting your Wi-Fi network. You can start broadcasting your Wi-Fi network again by tapping Settings > Personal Hotspot.
QUOTE Thanks
Terry2124

Terry2124 is on a distinguished road

Ok good to know, how can we lengthen the broadcast times?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sending photos out of the camera roll | iPhone 4 stuck in constant DFU or recovery, itunes gives error for all restores help! »