New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

New iMac, old contacts from Dell laptop, keep contacts on iphones during move??

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Ttaylor394

Ttaylor394 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: '10 21.5iMac self update-1TB 16GB-'12 MBP13 self update 1TB 16gb-32GB&16gb iphones-32GB iPad,

We just got our new iMac. My wife and I both have iphones; 8 GB 3g and 32 GB iphone 4 respectively.

Before the iMac we had an old Dell Laptop and synced our contacts via iTunes with Outlook, and we had the same numbers and it worked nicely.

I was the first to sync my iphone with the new iMac and knew the music would be replaced with what ever I chose. My apps are the same placement and order after the sync, and I added some videos onto the phone.

Other than that I really do not remember the specifics of the sync. I may have checked something under info about syncing contacts, but i guess i didn't read into that enough.

Is there a way for my wife's phone to keep her numbers?

If I add the names to all the numbers I have (in the text conversations and recent calls) and re-sync, will the names all go into the mac from my phone?
Then I could sync my wife's phone and all the numbers I have accumulated will go to her phone? Right?

any help is great
thanks
tt

21.5"iMac i3 3.06:running 10.7  500GB HD  16GB DDR3  Magic Trackpad  Black iPhone4 32GB  White iPhone4 16GB  Apple Extreme Airport Base Station 
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

My suggestion to you is to FIRST in Address Book on your Mac to create a new contact group and name it something specific. You and your wife can share one or create a separate one for each of you.

When you initially set up your wife's iPhone with your new iMac, there are settings in iTunes under each tab ("Music", "Apps", "Photos", etc.) that you can specify how syncing is handled. You want to look under "Info" and in the first Box are options for Contacts.
So, in that "Info" tab in iTunes you can check "Selected Groups" and then check which contact group to sync her phone with and then check the box that says "Add contacts created outside of groups on this iPhone to:" and then select her contact group (or your shared contact group) from that drop down next to the box you just checked.
That will add whatever contacts from her iPhone to your Address Book contact group on the iMac. Then when you sync your phone, you can choose the same one or create your own contact group in Address Book app by copying hers over.

I hope that wasn't too detailed/confusing. Basically you need a contact group in the Address Book app to sync to and you need to copy what's on your iPhones to the contact group in the Address Book app on your Mac. Play around with those tabs and settings and I'm sure you'll figure out anything else you need.

HTH

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Gmail issue | Help with 3GS iPhone »