New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Weird iTune sync with iPhone problem

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ovbg

ovbg is on a distinguished road

Hello, I've been using my iPhone with my single Mac computer for several months now, and all of a sudden today I have this problem. As you can below, I tried to select manually manage music and video, but it tells me I am synced with another library ??? How this is possible I don't know, as I only have one library on my mac, and a week or so ago, I used it to move songs to my iPhone and a couple of days ago, new podcasts.

I am worried about doing anything right now as I don't want to wipe my iPhone yet again.

Does anyone have any solutions?

QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Sign out of your itunes account, close itunes and logout, log back in open itunes and then sign back in and see if that sorts the problem out.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
ovbg

Thanks Simon. I gave that a go, but no luck. Same error message.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Try this...

Hold down the "alt" key and open itunes, it will ask you to either choose an existing library or create a new one, choose "existing" and select your library, this should make sure it reads all files connected to your library and should hopefully make it realise that you iphone is connected to your library.
Long-shot but could work.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
ovbg

Thanks again Simon. I had tried this first but it didn't work.

Still, I really appreciate the ideas coming as this is starting to drive me insane. I can't even update my podcasts as the library has now "changed".

I did do something different in the last week which may have something to do with it. I logged onto a different account in iTunes Store. A UK account to get a free download in the UK App store which was not available on the German App store. That App uploaded successfully with my iPhone and sits there with the other apps.

But could this have caused the problem? Afterall, those accounts are iTunes store accounts and not the "library" itself.
QUOTE Thanks
roflitskyle

roflitskyle has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: MacBook Unibody 13" 150 GB HDD

Try going back on your iTunes account on the App Store, might not work, just an idea.
QUOTE Thanks
ovbg

Thanks roflitskyle,

I tried this as well. It does make me wonder if the App Store and a Library are somehow interwoven with each other, or if this is some bug that has messed up the iPhone and Library.

Here is a bit of an overview.

My library doesn't seem to have changed. It still has all the same songs and music, the same podcasts etc. Last week, I signed out of my normal German iTunes account and logged into my UK iTunes account and downloaded one free App. I then synced my iPhone and the app moved across with all the others.

I can't remember if I was still signed on to the UK iTunes account at that time, but I think so.

Later I added new podcasts from the usual German iTunes account which I signed back into, and when I wanted to sync with my iPhone it said I had not enough space. Fair enough as it was quite full. So, I went to delete some Books from the iPhone and found I couldn't do it and got the message above.

I then went to my music and couldn't delete any either, and noticed that although my music wasn't set to "sync" automatically (which is how I want it) I found the check box above for manual control of music was not selected. Trying to select that also brought up the message above.

It seems I can not do anything with the iPhone as it seems to think the iTunes library is different.

Music is supposed to be manual (not syncing) but many other items like calendar, notes, mail, podcasts etc were set to sync.

I am wondering if there is a way to point the iPhone to the correct library. I know the mentioned "alt" key option for pointing iTunes to the right library, but that seems to be different.
QUOTE Thanks
ovbg

I've been experimenting here and noticed something really odd.

I can still sync my iPhone with iTunes with the global sync button at the first page (summary) of the iPhone settings. This will sync my podcasts, notes and address book, but I still have the problem on the first post. I can't set to manage my music, or delete music from my iPhone (nor books) and get the same message as above.

The question I ask myself, is how can I be on a different iTunes library, when it is syncing some things, just not everything? Is music and books treated separately to podcasts and notes?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« partitioned drive with itunes and OSX re-install | Best app for finances »