Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iOS and Apps (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/)
-   -   Converting mov to view on iPad (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/225945-converting-mov-view-ipad.html)

PurpleHaze 01-10-2011 06:16 PM

Converting mov to view on iPad

I want to put videos I've created as a .mov file and view put them on my iPad to show clients. I converted them to Mpeg 4 but they look horrible!
Is there a better way?

baggss 01-10-2011 06:50 PM

Google Handbrake, download it and use it.

safarisurfer 01-10-2011 07:51 PM

I was going to tell you to download vlc for iPad since it plays pretty much everything without converting it but they removed it from the store. It was free. However there may be someone here who know the equivelent of the player, as there was more then one did this. Then you wouldn't have to waste hours converting.

MYmacROX 01-10-2011 11:21 PM

QuickTime X can do that. I use it to convert my digital camera videos (MPEG) to M4VP so they will sync with my iPad and iPhone 4.
Open the file in QTX and do a Save As to change the file type.

Lifeisabeach 01-11-2011 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PurpleHaze (Post 1167334)
I want to put videos I've created as a .mov file and view put them on my iPad to show clients. I converted them to Mpeg 4 but they look horrible!
Is there a better way?

Ummm… have you tried playing the .MOV file on the iPad? It's Apple's format and I would expect them to be supported. I just quickly tested one to confirm it and no problems playing one here at all. You have to make sure the video is in iTunes, then under your iPad's sync settings, go to Movies, then enable "Sync Movies" and either sync 'em all, or pick the ones you want. After syncing, play it via the Videos app.

chas_m 01-15-2011 09:17 PM

.mov, like .avi, is a container -- not a format.

All kinds of codecs -- some of which may or may not be compatible with iTunes and thus iDevices -- can be inside a .mov or .avi file.

orbit79 01-18-2011 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by safarisurfer (Post 1167377)
I was going to tell you to download vlc for iPad since it plays pretty much everything without converting it but they removed it from the store. It was free. However there may be someone here who know the equivelent of the player, as there was more then one did this. Then you wouldn't have to waste hours converting.

Forgive me if this goes against forum rules, it is not intentional. But, would it be possible for somebody for the OP to install a copy of VLC for iPad if he had access to the ipa file? It really is a fantastic app.

mrplow 01-18-2011 04:35 AM

CineXPlayer will play most things but I'd go with the handbrake solution myself

Lifeisabeach 01-19-2011 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1170299)
.mov, like .avi, is a container -- not a format.

All kinds of codecs -- some of which may or may not be compatible with iTunes and thus iDevices -- can be inside a .mov or .avi file.

Hmmmph. That's interesting. I always assumed that .mov was very limited in that respect to what Apple allows. New day… new lesson….