New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Is there a way to transfer iPhone contacts to sim without jailbreaking?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

Is there any way to transfer iPhone contacts to sim without jailbreaking?

This has me stumped, as to why on earth Apple has not given us this option.
Surely it must be possible.

If I do have to jailbreak my phone to be able to do this (which I really would prefer not to), is there a foolproof, fail-safe and reversible method to go about it?

Also, if I have to Jailbreak it, what do I do next, or install next, and how, in order to do what I originally asked?

"iPhone contacts to sim"
QUOTE Thanks
6string

6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold6string is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Back to my old 2.2GHz C2D MB after selling my MBP and wondering what my next Mac will be :)

I'm guess the lack of response is a big fat NO
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

LOL mate you have a way with starting a thread and then having no-one reply lol

But i did a lot of searching last night and came up with a few things but looks like ATM unless its JB then your out of luck
Lots on sim to phone but not the other ways around ....
All i have found is ways to if your JB

CogFrog Studio's ~ Photography, Apps and Web Development
Dont forget to use the Reputation System if someone has helped you out !!!
Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooedMac View Post
LOL mate you have a way with starting a thread and then having no-one reply lol
Hehe ... yeah, what's with that?

I spent hours googling and found nothing.
It transfers contacts from the SIM to the phone, but doesn't go the other way.

I don't want to jailbreak it, as I'm afraid of bricking it.
If I were to brick it that would void my warranty if I couldn't reverse what I did.
It is really frustrating me, as if something goes wrong with the phone, and I have to get it repaired, then putting my SIM in my spare phone will leave me without all the contacts that I have added to the phone.

This is a really big flaw.
The only reason I can see that Apple would do this (allow SIM to phone but not phone to SIM transfer) is to keep you buying iPhones.

ARGGGGHHHH

I really hope that this is rectified eventually in an OS update, or that someone comes up with an app that I can add without jailbreaking to do this.
QUOTE Thanks
chscag

chscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond reputechscag has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" iMac i5, 3.2 GHz, iPad 3, iPhone 5c, 3 iPods, OS X Mavericks

Quote:
This is a really big flaw.
The only reason I can see that Apple would do this (allow SIM to phone but not phone to SIM transfer) is to keep you buying iPhones.
Apparently true. Every other cell phone I've owned (including those from AT&T here in the US) allow contacts to be copied to the SIM card. I go through phones fairly fast and if I didn't have a way to maintain my contacts on the SIM card it would be a royal pain having to enter them again.

As far as jail breaking the phone goes, there's very little risk of bricking it. But I would be less than honest if I said there was no risk at all.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

This might be a long shot but... Have you tried contacting a rep at your local Apple store and asking if they can do it with their magical software ?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
Originally Posted by chscag View Post
Apparently true. Every other cell phone I've owned (including those from AT&T here in the US) allow contacts to be copied to the SIM card. I go through phones fairly fast and if I didn't have a way to maintain my contacts on the SIM card it would be a royal pain having to enter them again.
Royal Pain indeed!
In order to add contacts from my iPhone, I have to keep notes of all the new contacts that I have added, right them down, put my SIM in my spare phone to be able to write to it, and then put it back in my iPhone and transfer back from the SIM to the iPhone

Quote:
As far as jail breaking the phone goes, there's very little risk of bricking it. But I would be less than honest if I said there was no risk at all.
It is that little risk that I am afraid with taking a gamble on possibly bricking a phone that still retails here for around AU$1000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
This might be a long shot but... Have you tried contacting a rep at your local Apple store and asking if they can do it with their magical software ?

Doug
I've thought about it, and this is my next step, but I wouldn't hold my breath for a positive outcome in this situation.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

TattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant futureTattooedMac has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 21" iMac 2.9Ghz 10.9.4 13"MBP 2.9Ghz i7 Yosemite 10.10 ~ iPhone5 iOS 8 ~ iPad Mini iOS 8 ~ ATV3 6.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post

Doug
Can also be done through the Carrier you are signed up to ...
And its a OK solution if you do it once with a multitude of contacts, but if your a busy social butterfly and add contacts to the phone every other day, it would painful to keep on going back to them to do the phone to sim thing .....

Would see them thinking your abusing the *system* and they will probably start to charge you after the 2nd visit

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
6string

[QUOTE=TattooedMac;1159562]Can also be done through the Carrier you are signed up to ...
And its a OK solution if you do it once with a multitude of contacts, but if your a busy social butterfly and add contacts to the phone every other day, it would painful to keep on going back to them to do the phone to sim thing .....

Would see them thinking your abusing the *system* and they will probably start to charge you after the 2nd visit [/QUOTE

At first I thought this is what Doug B meant, and I had the same thought, but I think that he meant that maybe they could put a software on it without jailbreaking it, or perhaps jailbreaking it, putting on the software, and then unjailbreaking it again, or something like that.
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Quote:
Can also be done through the Carrier you are signed up to ...

Would see them thinking your abusing the *system* and they will probably start to charge you after the 2nd visit
At first I thought this is what Doug B meant, and I had the same thought, but I think that he meant that maybe they could put a software on it without jailbreaking it, or perhaps jailbreaking it, putting on the software, and then unjailbreaking it again, or something like that.
LOL i see what your aiming at there

I only mentioned the carrier as just before xmas i went in with the ex to help (im the  man in her life) her buy a iPhone 3gs and all in one go they removed all the contacts from her old phone put them on the 3gs and then onto her sim . . . .All in 5 mins. Worth it to ask . . . She was Optus, though that shouldnt make any difference

QUOTE Thanks
6string

Quote:
LOL i see what your aiming at there

I only mentioned the carrier as just before xmas i went in with the ex to help (im the  man in her life) her buy a iPhone 3gs and all in one go they removed all the contacts from her old phone put them on the 3gs and then onto her sim . . . .All in 5 mins. Worth it to ask . . . She was Optus, though that shouldnt make any difference
I'm glad you understood what I was saying, because reading it back I was having a really hard time with it. lol

So they can put them on the SIM.... hmmm, if they couldn't give me a way to do it myself, it would mean a weekly trip to Apple to have them do this for me
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
I'm glad you understood what I was saying, because reading it back I was having a really hard time with it. lol
Only said that to make you feel good about yourself

Quote:
So they can put them on the SIM.... hmmm, if they couldn't give me a way to do it myself, it would mean a weekly trip to Apple to have them do this for me

Yea pretty sure they can ....... ^^ Hence the Social Butterfly and being painful comment

QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Yeah, no... (See, I'm already contradicting myself ! ) I did mean that either Apple or the Carrier could use whatever special software which only they're privy to, in order to do the transfer, no jailbreak required. I'm certain they have the ability to do this. A real PITA but if you need it to be done, what can ya do, eh ?

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
6string

Unless something changes in a software update, or a solution comes to light here, I think I'll be going back to Nokia once this phone has done it's dash.
In fact, I'm even considering selling it now.
Just got it (refurb from Apple) replacing my old one which died.
Anyone in Oz after an unlocked 32GB white back iPhone with 1year AppleCare? Lol
QUOTE Thanks
TattooedMac

Quote:
Anyone in Oz after an unlocked 32GB white back iPhone with 1year AppleCare? Lol
Kick it to me, Kick it to me, LOL

Im actually in the market (was before xmas and lose of job)

But i honestly want a iP4 with the FaceTime so i can FT my little boy when he is at his mums, otherwise i would PM you about it . . . . . If the job pans out on the 4th ill give ya a call about it and see what sort of deal you got going lol

EDIT : Could be good actually bc they still have the old sim and not the micro dont they ??

Then ill have no need to talk to the Telco's here

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad as keyboard for Imac | Upgrade to v4.2 »