New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Apple account not available?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

1. Yesterday I bought stuff on my iPad, which downloaded successfully.

2. Earlier today I received an email from Apple confirming this purchase.

3. I just tried to load iTunes on the Mac. It automatically tried to download stuff I bought ages ago and don't want and so prompted me for my password.

4. I entered the correct password and it says 'This Apple ID is not available'.

I know this Forum does not allow naughty words - probably not even the abbreviations for Wednesday, Thursday and Friday - so can I just say I find this a little inconvenient and annoying?

Oddly enough I was just about to risk destroying my iPad by upgrading it to the version of iOS which ruined my iPhone. So what do I do now?

Please can we go back to the old version of Apple where everything just worked?

I suppose it will save me a lot of money over the holidays if I can't buy anything via iTunes anymore. There is always a silver lining
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

It seems Apple decided to lock my account for no apparent reason. Now I have to remember a new password.

Probably time I reset the password anyway I suppose
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nearly 3 hours so far and the iPad is still backing up.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

You have a bunch of books or magazines in iBooks, Kindle, Zinio, etc.?

Zinio is a big time waster/killer related to backup. You can turn off it's backup function. Mine went from several hours to a few minutes when I turned it off.

Don't have a clue why it should take so long for the amount of data being moved, but it does.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Wow, thanks Bob, that sounds as if it might be a huge improvement. How do I do that please? In Settings I assume?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Unlike a lot of apps that have these type of settings in the system Settings, this one is inside the app.

Open up Zinio, hit the wheel - top right and you'll find Library Backup. Head in there to turn it off. Read the little note they've got there about turning back on before any updates.

But, I think you could redownload 100 magazines faster that Zinio takes to backup 20-30 of them.

QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Thanks - trying that now.

Couldn't find anything like that in any of the other Apps so far.

Another odd thing - I sync the iPad, make a minor change to the things I want to sync (added one Album in Music), resync and it is copying purchases from the iPad. Didn't it do that the first time I synced?
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

The iPad could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (2006).

So now my iPad is screwed as expected.

No doubt the above will be expurgated. Believe me, it already has been

So I have a 400 iPhone which still doesn't work as well as it used to and a 600 iPad which doesn't work at all.

Merry Christmas Apple
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

So I made sure the Mac was fully updated and tried to Restore the iPad (exactly what I wanted to do of course).

Didn't matter because it gave the same error message again and locked up the Mac. After rebooting that, my Time Machine drive failed to load.

Happy New Year as well Apple

Tried again - Forcibly shutdown the Mac as it was hung, reloaded iTunes, tried to Restore the iPad - same error and hung again.

Restarted yet again, got the Time Machine disk working, but no iPad.

So that would seem to be that. I really wish this Forum allowed profanity
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Well, problems always bite the bullet. Here's the 2000 series error code steps if you haven't found it already.

Quote:
Error 2000-2009: (2001, 2002, 2005, 2006, 2009, and so on) If you experience this issue on a Mac, disconnect third-party devices, hubs, spare cables, displays, reset the SMC, and then try to restore. Learn how to reset the SMC. If you are using a Windows computer, remove all USB devices and spare cables other than your keyboard, mouse, and the device, restart the computer, and try to restore. If that does not resolve, try the USB issue-resolution steps and articles listed for Error 1604 above. If the issue continues, it may be related to conflicting security software.
Here's the whole article - Update and restore alert messages on iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

And at least we know all iPads are still under warranty. Although not too consoling while you're sitting their with a dead device in your hand.

QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

True it is under Warranty.

Not much help when I am more or less snowed in and it will be Christmas Eve in an hour and a half
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

I shut down the Mac, disconnected all external disks and connected only the keyboard, trackball and iPad cable and then tried again. This went through with only a couple of errors (telling me either to restore when it was already doing so or that I couldn't sync because it was already doing so).

Anyway, the Restore went through cleanly, it recognised I had taken a backup yesterday and offered to restore that, which I accepted. This completed and then it started to sync. This required 2 or 3 attempts before it completed and there was still at least one App which had disappeared. I reinstalled that from iTunes, which worked once it had rechecked my payment details on the iTunes Store.

At last it seems to be working correctly. No serious problems so far. Some of the games now use a different ID, but the data seems to be there, so not a problem really. The unified Mailbox is the only improvement I have found so far, which is offset by not having a screenlock any more. I believe this is supposed to be software now, but I haven't found it yet.

On the other hand, I do have 60 Apps to update in the App Store!!

Seems to have been a lot of hassle and worry for no real gain. At my age I could have done without all that.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Double tap the home button, then scroll right at the bottom. You have iPod controls, brightness and screen lock there. Pitr for the lock we got use to, but much easier for adjusting screen brightness than having to open system settings to do it.

QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Thanks Bob.

I assume all those Apps are the ones running in the background. How do I clear those out please?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Press and hold one of them till they start wiggling.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Google my maps sync/app | Developing apps for iPhone »