Undo jailbreak and preserve game save data
    Hi guys, I've been having some issues with my jailbroken iPhone, so I thought it might be a good idea to restore it to a clean state and re-enter the data.

Situation:
    1. jailbroken iphone 3GS using jailbreakme.com method on 4.0.1
    2. Want to upgrade to 4.2 and not jailbreak anymore
    3. I've already purchased the games I wanna keep (PvZ, angry birds etc)
    4. Girlfriend wants to preserve the game save files since she's progressed quite far.

Someone suggested that I could just install the 4.2 update over the current jailbreak situation, would that un-jailbreak the phone? I was guides online on how to restore, but I can't see how to preserve the data.

If it's possible, I'd like to retain my text messages too.

Any help would greatly be welcome. thanks in advance!

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    Backup your phone in itunes, this should keep all your game saves, from legitimate app store apps and games.
    Then upgrade via the normal way in itunes to 4.2, this will get rid of the jailbreak. Then restore your phone from the backup.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

Specs:
    Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD
    Agreed. Updating to stock firmware should not cause any data loss to legimately purchased apps. Whether or not the phone is JB now is irrelevant.

The problem is that the Plants Vs Zombie and Angry Birds that we have been playing was downloaded off appulous. I've since purchased both games using my iTunes account, but the games have previously been played using the pirated/unofficial install.

Am I right to assume that upgrading to iOS 4.2 now will remove the jailbreak without me losing any data or crashing?

I don't mind losing the unofficial apps such as MyWi, Cydia etc etc. I know I can redownload the PvZ and Angry Birds, but will those be wiped? They approved for the app store, but installed using appulous.

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 15" 2014, 2.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, 250GB SSD, OSX 10.9.5 - iPhone 5s 16gb
    When you back-up your iphone, it will save messages, contacts, and all apps and data being used by apps downloaded via the App Store. As a rule of thumb anything else downloaded by other means you can say goodbye to.

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the top right of their post.
    May 2011
    Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011

In the end I just upgraded to iOS 4.2, which removed all the non-official apps (Cydia, Appulous etc). The games didn't work after that, such as Angry Birds etc. They were still on the phone, but couldn't be launched. Deleting and reinstalling those worked. Surprisingly, soundhound kept all the history of searched songs and continued to work (I'd purchased the app).

The funny thing is the app that I didn't need to preserve the data did, and the apps that I wanted to preserve the data didn't, lol.

Thread Information