New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Upgrading Unlocked iPhone 3GS to 4.2.1

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ryankk49

ryankk49 is on a distinguished road

Supposedly the unlock for 4.2.1 is coming out tomorrow. If I have a 3GS that's unlocked on 3.1.3, how would I go about upgrading to 4.2.1, then unlocking it without losing any of my data? Is there a way to do this? Or do I have to wipe it, then start over as a new phone? Thanks in advance!
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

You might want to read this:
iOS 4.2.1 brings baseband signature check, unlockers warned to wait

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Weiser878 can only hope to improve

Even when the unlock comes out, you can't simply update through iTunes and then unlock like with 4.0. Its more complicated.

You have to create custom 4.2.1. IPSWs that don’t update your baseband and update from those
QUOTE Thanks
ryankk49

Wow thanks for the link. So even if I create a custom 4.2.1 ISPW, I still may run into problems? Is there any way to upgrade the phone to an older OS? I'm fine with 3.1.3, but the only reason I want to upgrade is because MobileMe calendar syncing isn't working, and I was reading that there were some problems with MobileMe on 3.1.3.
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

Right now, even with a custom IPSW there is no unlock available.

In order to upgrade to a newer iOS (4.0-4.1) you'd already need that IPSW and SHSH blobs for 4.0.1. And it has to be a custom IPSW, even though someone probably has it on their computer from a past upgrade, Apple stops signing them soon after a new update comes out.

Seriously, if you have to unlock, you'd better wait.

Sorry
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryankk49 View Post
Wow thanks for the link. So even if I create a custom 4.2.1 ISPW, I still may run into problems? Is there any way to upgrade the phone to an older OS? I'm fine with 3.1.3, but the only reason I want to upgrade is because MobileMe calendar syncing isn't working, and I was reading that there were some problems with MobileMe on 3.1.3.
I have an original iPhone that CAN'T go past 3.1.3, but there is a solution if all you want is MobileMe calendar syncing back:

1. Turn off calendar syncing in your MobileMe account settings on the iPhone.

2. Go back to "Accounts" and ADD an account. This is CalDAV. For server you put cal.me.com, then fill in your MM name and password.

There! All fixed.
QUOTE Thanks
ryankk49

Awesome! It worked! Thanks for your help. I searched for hours trying to find a solution but I never heard of that one. Now the only thing is that the calendars show up but some of them aren't syncing. I'll troubleshoot it for a bit and hopefully it'll start working.
QUOTE Thanks
Weiser878

I was wondering how that was gonna work for 1st Gen owners
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Various Apps keep blanking out | Accepting invitations directly in the calendar app »