New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Testing apps for iOS

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

snuu83nz

snuu83nz is on a distinguished road

Hi there,

I am new to the iPad testing world and have googled and googled trying to find some tips for testing apps on iOS, without much luck. If anyone has any information or example tests that they have run on iOS for their apps, I would definately appreciate some feedback. I guess the only way to explain the app is that it is a Productivity App, if that means anything to you. Main concern is Zoom and Swipe behaviour.

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
Chris H.

Chris H. is a jewel in the roughChris H. is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: late 2009 MacBook - 10.9

You'll need to sign up for and pay the $99 fee for Apple's iOS SDK kit.

 MB White Uni l'09 - OS X 10.9
 iPad mini - iOS 7.1
 5th gen iPod touch - iOS 7.1
 Mm e'09 - OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
snuu83nz

Hmmm...not too sure that is what I need as I am not developing the product, only testing it.
QUOTE Thanks
mjfleck2000

mjfleck2000 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, iMac

Oh my, it can be a challenge trying to determine what it is people really are asking in their forum posts.

Have you found an app in the app store that you want to test out? I don't think so because you would only have to download it and give it a try.

Have you developed an app for the ipad? They you must have used Xcode and you would use the iphone/ipad simulator that is part of the IOS SDK. This is a FREE download. The IOS SDK includes Xcode, Interface Builder and Iphone/ipdad Simulator.

If you want to become an Apple Developer, that costs $99. As an Apple Developer you get to submit apps to the app store or transfer apps you have written to your own devices.

Mike
QUOTE Thanks
snuu83nz

I work for a software development company. I did not develop the app, I am only testing it to meet the requirements. I will only be doing functional UI and performance testing.

What i would like is some advice from people who have tested iOS apps, on an iPad, so i know what key iPad functions I should be looking to test. As I said I have not tested on the iPad before and have not had a lot of experience with one as the majority of my testing career has been on a PC, so i am not very familar with Apple products.

I will not be using any tools as part of my testing. The majority of the functionality is around PDF viewers.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

I think you'll want to look at the iOS Human Interface Guidelines available from Apples developer site. This will tell you what Apple and therefore users will expect from your app.

I just found this short list of suggestions. Haven't read it all. I'll leave that up to you.

Perhaps reading a book such as "Tapworthy: Designing Great iPhone Apps" or "App Savvy: Turning Ideas into iPad and iPhone Apps Customers Really Want" would be helpful too.

Of course there is the obvious; Test to the written specs of the application. There is a UI spec isn't there?

Always test on a real device. The simulator is good but certainly not perfect. Depending on the app, a device be required, for instance, doing location aware testing.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks
snuu83nz

Thank you for your feedback that is really helpful. I have been reading through the Human interface guidelines and they are helpful but it seems when i raise soemthing from this document they look at me like I'm stupid and why would you think that is a requirement. My reasoning of 'Because Apple said' does not seem to be good enough, that is why I have been looking for some real world examples from some experienced testers, so thank you again.

"Of course there is the obvious; Test to the written specs of the application. There is a UI spec isn't there?"

Unfortunately our spec is not detailed, merely screen shots and detail that would be more suited to marketing than anything else which makes things a lot harder for me. Be intuitive they say but that is very very ambiguos and not the path I want to take.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Have your developers even read the UI Guideline? Don't answer that, please.

Part of "intuitive" is user expectation. If they are breaking Apples guidelines for no good reason then they are breaking user expectation too. That is bad news for any app. Users like consistency. So much so that they will look at the competition. Also, those who speak the loudest on reviews are often those that hate a product.

Sounds like you're in a tough spot.

CameraTime - Time lapse photography for novice and advanced users.

When asking questions, post the version of your software. You'll receive better answers.

Please post your results to the thread as it is good feedback.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« IPhone will not work with my iTunes | Printing solution for Airprint »