New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Landscape lock?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ceejay

ceejay is on a distinguished road

Why does Apple give us Portrait lock but no landscape lock??

When I am reading in bed and turn on my side, the ipod rotates the wrong way. Clearly the device is capable of locking in landscape mode because so many apps use it.

What's wrong with just an "orientation lock" instead of "portrait lock"? Or have I just completely missed how to do this on my 3G ipod touch?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

They want you to buy an iPad for reading. Get a lock for both directions then.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ceejay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtomay View Post
They want you to buy an iPad for reading. Get a lock for both directions then.

But with them changing the side switch to a mute button, will the portrait lock work the same way on the ipad that it does on the ipod? Is the ipad losing its landscape lock?

I know the ipod didn't cost quite as much as an ipad, but it wasn't exactly chump change either!

When I read in bed, I lay on my side. The ipod is landscape relative to my eyes, but portrait to the Earth. I feel like I have to fight the ipod to be able to read. It's frustrating...
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Yeah, I know. I read laying on my side also. But, nope, the iPad still has it's lock. Just not so easy to get to any more. Now you have to double tap the home button, swipe to the right and then you have access to the lock - pitr. Unlock? yep - double tap, swipe and then unlock.

Oh, and everybody that wanted the mute button... they didn't get that either - it only mutes system sounds and nothing else. So they still have to hold the volume switch for that 1 second they were complaining about to mute everything else.

QUOTE Thanks
ceejay

Quote:
Yeah, I know. I read laying on my side also. But, nope, the iPad still has it's lock. Just not so easy to get to any more. Now you have to double tap the home button, swipe to the right and then you have access to the lock - pitr. Unlock? yep - double tap, swipe and then unlock.

That's just how it works for the ipod ... are you sure the ipad will still lock in landscape? Have you tried it out with the new 4.2?
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Yep, because that's how I read all my books. Don't use portrait at all for books on the iPad. I like that two page open book appearance. Actually, there are very few things I use portrait for at all. Only made it through 5 pages last night before I fell asleep.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Oh, and everybody that wanted the mute button... they didn't get that either - it only mutes system sounds and nothing else. So they still have to hold the volume switch for that 1 second they were complaining about to mute everything else.
Actually that's exactly how it's supposed to work (just like on the iPhone), and it is what I wanted.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I really don't find it that difficult to do, and honestly, how often do you switch your orientation lock back and forth? I can't imagine it's done on a super regular basis given the way most people seem to use their iPads that it would be that much of a burden?

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
I really don't find it that difficult to do, and honestly, how often do you switch your orientation lock back and forth? I can't imagine it's done on a super regular basis given the way most people seem to use their iPads that it would be that much of a burden?
Actually, I use(d) that lock multiple times a day - every day.

I also find it to be enough of a hassle to unlock it now, that I'm already finding myself blowing it off and adjusting to use the screen for the next app in the orientation it's in rather than have to change it.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Actually, I use(d) that lock multiple times a day - every day.

I also find it to be enough of a hassle to unlock it now, that I'm already finding myself blowing it off and adjusting to use the screen for the next app in the orientation it's in rather than have to change it.
But by multiple, are you talking about every minute or a few times a day? I'm just having a hard time thinking it's really that much more difficult the new way. I rarely ever found the need to lock my orientation on my iPad very often, so maybe I just use it different.

QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

I use it probably 10-15 times a day.

I understand the reasoning for a system sounds mute and I have no ideas on how to make both a system sound lock and an orientation lock user friendly.

But, I do not find a three step process just to lock/unlock the screen to be user friendly in the slightest.
Although, I'm sure I'll adjust to it. Just rather wouldn't have to.

edit: Actually, I do. A simple system preference allowing the use of that switch according to the desire of the user. Shouldn't be that hard to do, since it apparently is controlled via the software anyway.

QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I'm with Bob on this one. In fact I find the new lock procedure a pain. Can't seem to bring up the lock properly. I must be skipping something.

One of the reasons I use the lock quite a bit is for a few apps that insists upon opening in portrait mode even though I prefer to use them in landscape mode.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MobileMe options - not using mail etc. | SMS Ringtones »