New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

SMS Ringtones

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

I've eagerly awaited iOS 4.2 with the hope that the rumors were true and we'd finally be able to customize our SMS ringtones with content from iTunes. But, alas, it seems we've only been given a new batch of crappy stock ringtones to use.

My questions are twofold:
  1. Does anybody understand the logic behind Apple handicapping our ability to use custom SMS ringtones?
  2. Am I missing some key point and there is, in fact, a [legal] method that I can use to customize them?

Thanks!

Z
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post

[*]Does anybody understand the logic behind Apple handicapping our ability to use custom SMS ringtones?
The logic is that if you the user, want that kind of control over your iPhone, and they gave it to you, it's possible that you'd also be dumb enough to install some malicious or harmful piece of software or code, and then Apple would no longer be responsible for your warranty. Or at least, that's the excuse they use in order to control every little thing you can and can not do with THEIR firmware.

Which brings us to:

Quote:
Am I missing some key point and there is, in fact, a [legal] method that I can use to customize them?
Z
I'm not sure if there's more to it than what I said, beyond what others will of course tell us, while in the process of defending said bonehead move by Apple but... Legally, you are now able to Jailbreak your phone!

So, go have a ball and upload which ever sms and alarm tones your little heart desires ! Weeeeeeee...

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Somehow I suspect that this, and custom e-mail tones, are linked to the fact that iOS is a modified version of OSX. Ever tried to change core sounds in OSX? It's doable, and not that hard, but it's not really intuitive either. It's odd that the core sounds are not in a standard new Apple format (mp4, m4a etc) but are still AIFF sounds instead (at least in 10.5, I haven't looked at 10.6 yet).

Some time back when I still had my 3G I JB'd it so see if I could do either of these and was amazed to find that there were few (or no) options even in that realm for changing the tones. That right there tells me there is something more than meets the eye about making these tones users changeable. Maybe things have changed with the new iOS 4 JBs though.....

Could Apple do it? Sure, and it seems odd that they haven't...

QUOTE Thanks
Shikarnov

Shikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the roughShikarnov is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
The logic is that if you the user, want that kind of control over your iPhone, and they gave it to you, it's possible that you'd also be dumb enough to install some malicious or harmful piece of software or code, and then Apple would no longer be responsible for your warranty. Or at least, that's the excuse they use in order to control every little thing you can and can not do with THEIR firmware.
Unfortunately, that logic cannot hold water since you're perfectly able to add in custom ringtones for calls. I cannot see how customizing the alert for one form of incoming communication would be secure while doing the same for another form of incoming communication would not be. <sigh>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Which brings us to:

I'm not sure if there's more to it than what I said, beyond what others will of course tell us, while in the process of defending said bonehead move by Apple but... Legally, you are now able to Jailbreak your phone!

So, go have a ball and upload which ever sms and alarm tones your little heart desires ! Weeeeeeee...

Doug
I was really hoping to avoid Jailbreaking my iPhone. I've never done so, and I don't relish the idea of irrevocably harming the device, or otherwise making waves with AT&T's service.

I may have to bite that bullet though.
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikarnov View Post
Unfortunately, that logic cannot hold water since you're perfectly able to add in custom ringtones for calls. I cannot see how customizing the alert for one form of incoming communication would be secure while doing the same for another form of incoming communication would not be. <sigh>

I was really hoping to avoid Jailbreaking my iPhone. I've never done so, and I don't relish the idea of irrevocably harming the device, or otherwise making waves with AT&T's service.

I may have to bite that bullet though.
Yeah, I know. I alluded to the point that I was reaching for an answer.. But baggs does have a good point. One which I didn't remember.

As far as JB'g goes, you'll not harm your phone, nor will you stir anything in the pot with ATT. You have the legal right to do it now. JB'g isn't going to do anything nasty.. but there is a chance that SSH'ng and doing something as root might, if you're not careful about what you're allowing access. Just do your homework and know what you're installing or transferring over and you'll be just fine.

Also, you can always reverse the process and go back to stock firmware.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Landscape lock? | Push notifications explained »