New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Advanced "Parental Controls" for Iphone/Ipod Touch App Store

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Speedydowt

Speedydowt is on a distinguished road

Hi guys/girls

I currently have two Iphone's in my name that my two smally boys use. Problem is I don't really won't them to have complete control of my credit card on the app store (already had a couple of nasty credit card surprises).

Really what i'd like them to have is-

1) The ability to download and install free apps on the app store
2) The inability to download and install paid for applications on the app store- or simply the need to enter a password in order to download and install paid for apps.

I've tried parental controls on the iphone however this simple limits the ability to download and install all apps and doesn't specify based on whether they are paid for or free.

Thanks very much for your time

Tom
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Only way to do it that I'm aware of is to remove your CC info from your iTunes account.

Yep, it means you'll now have to input your CC info when you want to purchase something and the kids will only be able to download free apps.

From memory, it's about like this:

In iTunes log into the Store under Quick Links
click on Account
click Edit Payment Information

change the Credit Card to None

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
Buzzard2010

Buzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really niceBuzzard2010 is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 21.5" i3 500gb HDD 4gb RAM OSX 10.9.2 - iPhone 5s 16gb

Why not setup a separate account for the kids that they can use without a cc attached to it? Could be the solution?!?

- Simon

If you have been helped, don't forget to use the Reputation system at the bottom of the users profile.
May 2011
Nominated: March 2011 & April 2011
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

This the the kind of "parental controls" my father used in the days before computers!

Use it today, and your kids will have you arrested!
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post
This the the kind of "parental controls" my father used in the days before computers!

What? No holes drilled in it?

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

Nope, no holes! But he never got a chance to use it... something about respecting your elders!
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991-C4 View Post

My dad wore his around his waist. It had holes and it held his pants up.
I'm still alive and I don't resent him or hate him for the discipline that kept me out of trouble growing up.

Back on topic... I would also recommend deleting your credit card info in your iTunes account. Just sign into your account in iTunes, click on "Edit Payment Information" and delete your card #, etc. Also, if you sign out and don't let your kids know your Apple ID/Password, they can't even purchase an app with someone else's c/c... unless they know how to set up a new iTunes account.

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2009 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

As a non-parent, this entire thread has me agog.

I have much to learn, obviously ... but the thought of any children having access to my cc for any reason ever ... wow.

To try and be constructive, however: I agree with the others, just remove your cc info from iTunes outright. Use iTunes gift cards for you and them as needed.
QUOTE Thanks
Speedydowt

Speedydowt is on a distinguished road

cheers guys for the feedback, sorry i havnt replied to this thread for awhile

will try your suggestions now!

tom
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iBooks 1.2 | memory hogging apps in iphone 3G »