New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iOS 4.1 today?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

I thought i read that iOS 4.1 was to be released today, but iTunes keeps telling me that 4.02 is the current version.

when do they usually release the update? is it later in the day?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Did they say 1 week in the video? I thought they did also and am eagerly awaiting it also to see if they made the 3G a bit more useable.

Don't take this for the for sure truth, but this is what I found.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/0..._n_708761.html
QUOTE Thanks
james515

i just checked again and I am now downloading iOS 4.1. i cant wait until its finished, my 3G has been slow and im ready for it to be back to normal
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Thanks James for the heads up. It's downloading now. I can't wait.

Anandtech has a review on IOS 4.1 on the iPhone 3G. Much faster than 4.0.2 and in a couple of things faster than 3.1.3!!

Caring for the Elderly: iOS 4.1 Speed Boost on the iPhone 3G - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
QUOTE Thanks
TomTomTuning

TomTomTuning is a jewel in the roughTomTomTuning is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15in MBP - 27in iMac - iPhone

Grrr, I checked before I left home about an hour ago and it wasn't available. I guess I have to wait till I get home tonight. (at work)

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

It's all updated. Update was normal speed and not the SNAILS pace like 4.0! So far I can for sure see a difference especially when typing. It's keeping up now. Apps open a lot faster in many cases.

It will be interesting to see what others notice when they upgrade their 3G. Also if the iPhone 4 issues are fixed like the Proximity Sensor.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

My iPhone3G failed to update to 4.0.2 last night and now fails to restore either. From the file name, I think it is now trying to apply 4.1 - not that it does much good now it is stuck.

Oddly enough, about 2/3 of the way though the download, the iPhone times out and shuts down. Coincidentally, it is about 2/3 of the way through the restore that it hangs. My guess is the stupid phone switching off corrupts the download each time.

Hard to believe all this farce with iOS4 is not just a ploy to make users of iPhone3G upgrade to iPhone4. I am not yet tempted to do that, but the iPod Touch is looking very tempting. Even the Android might be worth a try.

After the awesome iPad, how could Apple sink this far?

Edit - is there any way to download the new file without having the iPhone waiting to shutdown part way through please?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

The Download comes through iTunes. The iPhone shutting down should not affect the download but it would sure affect the install that is for sure. When is the phone shutting down exactly? That does not sound normal at all. Even when 4.0 first came out, besides waiting over an hour, I had no issues installing it.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

The iPhone shuts down 2/3 of the way through the download.

The update - and subsequent restore attempts - all hang about that distance through the procedure, I.e. The progress bar on the phone is just under the right hand edge of the apple logo.

Why was I dumb enough to update yesterday to 4.0.2 instead of waiting until today for 4.1?
QUOTE Thanks
james515

after messing with my 3G on iOS 4.1, i have noticed a little bit of speed increase in apps and such, but not as much as the hype was about. but still it did improve from painfully slow to slightly faster than before 4.01
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Just a heads up. It seems faster after using it a bit. When it was first updated I saw some improvement, but after an hour or so I opened it and it feels even faster. All the Apps I opened opened faster. Seems faster after a bit of usage is what I am saying. At least that is what I noticed anyway.
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

If only
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk4 View Post

If only
I wish I could help but after reading your last post, I am starting to wonder if it's not a hardware issue on the 3G itself. It sounds like you have tried pretty much everything.

This is a shot in the dark but I wonder if DFU mode and restore to the old firmware would help?

http://limitededitioniphone.com/how-...into-dfu-mode/
QUOTE Thanks
Jbob

Jbob has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 17" Macbook Pro (2009)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtravis7 View Post
Just a heads up. It seems faster after using it a bit. When it was first updated I saw some improvement, but after an hour or so I opened it and it feels even faster. All the Apps I opened opened faster. Seems faster after a bit of usage is what I am saying. At least that is what I noticed anyway.
I got my iphone 4 yesterday and after using my dying 3g I thought it was fast ... its now even faster.
QUOTE Thanks
greggles

greggles is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac G5 20" 2GB/250GB; MacBook 2.0GHz - 1Gb/80GB; iPod (video)60Gb

I spent about 5 hours last night downloading 4.1 onto 3 different generations of iphone (unfortunately I suffer from extremely slow broadband). result:

Wife's iPhone 4 - seems to have sorted out all the bugs (although she never experienced any antenna issues) and HDR/ Tone Mapping camera option looks interesting - can't wait to see results?

My 3GS - Can't detect much difference to be honest - slight speed bump. Game Center (sic) of little interest to me.

Old 3G - Thankfully, with the increased speed, the phone is now usable again (which is just as well as I am giving it to my God daughter for her birthday)

Roll on 4.2 (mainly for my iPad)
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« App Store Relaxing Dev. Rules | update gmail with new emails »