New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Why does iTunes want to replace and not add ringtone

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Rock Chick Sybi

Rock Chick Sybi is on a distinguished road

Hello,

I have 6 custom ringtones I would like to add to my iPhone 4 but iTunes wants to replace all the 'music, video, ringtones' when I try to sync instead of just adding my new ones - why is that and is there a way to just add them to the existing ringtones that came with the phone?
Is there a way to bypass iTunes completely and just copy items to my phone? (Probably a pipe dream - Steve Jobs is sooo controlling)

Thanks for any help!
Misty
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

On the Summary tab, place a check next to "Manually manage..."

I might add though, if you are using ebooks on your iPhone, you are not going to want to use Manually manage. It does not work with books.

I have used that setting for almost 3 years, and have had to revert back to the regular sync now because of this. In most cases, it's going to be faster just to go ahead and resync than to figure out a way around it.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
ozziedog

ozziedog is on a distinguished road

I use a free app ring-tone designer to create ring-tones from music I have in iTunes. The are 30 seconds or less. Save it was edited, connect iphone to desktop then launch itunes.
In itunes I select the device once in the device click on apps at the bottom of the page I have ring-tone designer to the right are the ring-tones that were created in ring-tone designer copy from the right pane to desktop and from desktop I drag to itunes and then sync, nothing gets replaced. The only thing I haven't figured out is why only one of the custom ring-tones copies to the phone. It is rather a pain but works for me, sometimes.
QUOTE Thanks
laimbeersux

laimbeersux is on a distinguished road

check out this thread, lots of info on creating and adding the ringtones to your iPhone there. Iphone Ringtone synced, but not showing on iphone!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Upload pics from iphone to mobileme??? | Playing Podcasts issue. »