New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

question about syncing multiple devices

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

bjmini

bjmini is on a distinguished road

I've had an ipod for several years and sync it occasionally with itunes. I always read that you couldn't sync a single ipod with multiple computers, and you also couldn't syn multiple ipods with one computer.

Now that I have an iphone too I'm wondering if the same thing holds true- can you not sync an iphone on the same computer that you have an ipod sync'd? Or if you can, how do you keep them separate? My goal is to sync music on the ipod, and sync other things on the iphone.
QUOTE Thanks
Slydude

Slydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant futureSlydude has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2.8 GHz MacBook Pro 10.8,3 8 GB mem, 2.66 GHz Mac Pro - Dead, iPhone 4

I am currently syncing an iPhone 3GS and an iPad with the same Mac and it seems to work fine. Each shows in the Devices in iTunes and clicking the disclosure icon shows the device's contents. So far I have never had both devices plugged in for syncing at the same time so I am not sure if that would work but otherwise things seem OK.

If no one else does it before then I will double check and make sure my iPad has a different set of content from the iPhone. Up until now I have kept them the same by choice.

Sylvester Roque Former Contributing Editor About This Particular Macintosh

"Got Time to breathe. You got time for music." Denver Pyle as Briscoe Darling
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjmini View Post
I always read that you couldn't sync a single ipod with multiple computers
True.

Quote:
and you also couldn't syn multiple ipods with one computer.
False and has always been false. Steve has even made direct mention in keynotes of syncing *unlimited* numbers of iPods iPhones and iPads with a single computer.
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I currently sync an iPod Nano, 2 iPhones and an iPad with a single Mac.

The only hassle at this point is I don't want all the same apps on my iPhones and my iPad. To compound this issue is the fact that many apps now have two different versions, one for the iPhone/iPod and another for the iPad instead of having a single cross-app that works on both. And with most of these, there is no way to determine which is which when going through the list trying to sync. pitr

With an iPod and an iPhone, after the initial sync, I found using the manually manage option worked the best for me.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
1991-C4

1991-C4 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2 iPod Touches and iPad

I also sync multiple iDevices to a single library, but as has been mentioned, you can only sync one device at a time.

As far as the different versions, I have not had a problem with that. The "HD" (iPad only) apps will not sync to an iPod Touch or an iPhone, but the "unibin" or universal apps and iPhone apps will sync to the iPad.
QUOTE Thanks
willmeahl4

willmeahl4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 20' 2Ghz C2D, Macbook 13' 2.26 Ghz C2D, 2x iPhone 3gs (mine and the wife's), and some iPods.

I'm not sure about not being able to sync to multiple computers. I routinely sync on the MacBook and the iMac, however it is the same iTunes account on both.
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

I can sync my 2 iPods and my iPhone all at the same time. iTunes slows down but it works. You can sync iPods (at least the Classic ones, not sure about the touch) to multiple itunes Libraries on different machines if you manually manage the iPods vice Auto-Syncing. The iPhones, unfortunately, can only be synced to one library.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPad last.fm scrobble | How do I get my apps back? Help!! »