New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPad JailBreak

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

First of all, it's great to hear that we can openly discuss JailBreaking without the fear of the BANHAMMER

Now, I as looking online and it says the new jailbreak at JailBreakMe.com works for iPad running iOS 3.2 and 3.2.1(mine)

I am considering JailBreaking my 16GB iPad 3G, just to toy with it until iOS4 is bestowed upon the iPad officially (it will be great to get a taste of Multitasking until I can get it officially),

Anyways, has anyone JailBroke their iPad? Or at least seen any reports of side effects?

Let me know, I probably won't JailBreak until I get home from work sometime later tonight.

Thanks.

MMM
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Mine is and works great.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough

Thats great...

So there is no slow downs or anything that you noticed that doesn't work properly? Also how long does it take for the process?
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Just a couple of minutes, You do it right off the ipad.

Open safari and goto Jailbreakme.com sit back and it will finish in 2 minutes or so.

No lag or performance loss (Most likely because of the A4 Processor can handle the extra load) The same on my iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

All jailbreaking does is remove the stops that prevent apps from being installed by any process other than the app store. It doesn't do anything that should slow the device down. Other than the fact that the Cydia app appears on your springboard, you shouldn't even be able to tell its jailbroken.

It won't harm your device and it's completely reversible. If you decide its not for you, just plug it back into iTunes and hit restore and you're back in jail.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

Awesome, thanks again.

I will post back after I JailBreak later on today.

MMM
QUOTE Thanks
Doug b

Doug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond reputeDoug b has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15-inch Early 2008; Processor 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo; Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM; 10.7.5

Mmm.. A jailbroken second gen iPad with an camera for Skype or Facetime sounds pretty good but wouldn't it also prove to be a bit costly ? I'm just trying to figure out what one would JB an iPad for other than to tether with 3G or use apps like Skype over 3G instead of wifi etc... but since the data is limited and you get charged out the patoot after you go over that limit... then what we're talking about here is JB'ing for third party apps, is that right ?

In that case, I'd love to hear which apps you guys think are worth JB'ng for ? And tell us a bit about said apps and how they assist you in your daily lives.

Doug
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygray View Post
All jailbreaking does is remove the stops that prevent apps from being installed by any process other than the app store. It doesn't do anything that should slow the device down. Other than the fact that the Cydia app appears on your springboard, you shouldn't even be able to tell its jailbroken.

It won't harm your device and it's completely reversible. If you decide its not for you, just plug it back into iTunes and hit restore and you're back in jail.
Yep, I am completely aware of that. I have jailbroken both my 1st Gen iPod Touch and my iPhone 3GS (when I had it) I just haven't JailBroken my iPad yet and this time it looks a lot easier than ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug b View Post
Mmm.. A jailbroken second gen iPad with an camera for Skype or Facetime sounds pretty good but wouldn't it also prove to be a bit costly ? I'm just trying to figure out what one would JB an iPad for other than to tether with 3G or use apps like Skype over 3G instead of wifi etc... but since the data is limited and you get charged out the patoot after you go over that limit... then what we're talking about here is JB'ing for third party apps, is that right ?

In that case, I'd love to hear which apps you guys think are worth JB'ng for ? And tell us a bit about said apps and how they assist you in your daily lives.

Doug
Doug,

I am not sure what apps I will download, I have been out of the JB scene for a while. But I know it will be great to get BackGrounder on there to get the taste of sweet Multitasking for now. Also, Tethering 3G would be neat.

Like I said in my original post, I am JBing it just to mess around. I love my iPad the way it is currently, but I love tinkering too
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaMACMan View Post
Yep, I am completely aware of that. I have jailbroken both my 1st Gen iPod Touch and my iPhone 3GS (when I had it) I just haven't JailBroken my iPad yet and this time it looks a lot easier than ever.

Doug,

I am not sure what apps I will download, I have been out of the JB scene for a while. But I know it will be great to get BackGrounder on there to get the taste of sweet Multitasking for now. Also, Tethering 3G would be neat.

Like I said in my original post, I am JBing it just to mess around. I love my iPad the way it is currently, but I love tinkering too
If your on a 3G iPad get mywi it's great.

Also don't forget to save your SHSH Blobs.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

SHSH Blobs?!

Not sure I know what that is :-\
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
SHSH Blobs?!

Not sure I know what that is :-\
You will see it after the Jailbreak you open Cydia it will say "Make my life easier" click it. That saves your SHSH files. In case you need to re-jailbreak down the road or restore.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
"Make my life easier"
Thats a tall order... even for the Dev Team!

Thanks for the tip though. Much appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

Well, here is an update.

My whole reason of Jailbreaking was to get Multitasking on the iPad.

I JailBroke it and downloaded ProSwitcher and Activator, whenever I tried to do anything on the iPad (even as simple as pushing the home button twice) it will crash and reboot itself

Needless to say after tinkering for a while, I restored it. I am willing to try it again if the Multitasking is working but other than that I am not sure there anything else compelling to JailBreak... at least for me.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Well, here is an update.

My whole reason of Jailbreaking was to get Multitasking on the iPad.

I JailBroke it and downloaded ProSwitcher and Activator, whenever I tried to do anything on the iPad (even as simple as pushing the home button twice) it will crash and reboot itself

Needless to say after tinkering for a while, I restored it. I am willing to try it again if the Multitasking is working but other than that I am not sure there anything else compelling to JailBreak... at least for me.
It's a work in progress with the iPad. I was reading the Dev's had a hardtime with the new firmware/jailbreak process.
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

yeah I saw that too.

Oh well, no harm no foul. like I said, if they fix it, I'll be first in line to re-JB my iPad.

The experience was still pretty awesome.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« I Phone Unlocked? | Various Apps keep blanking out »