Mac Forums

Mac Forums (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/)
-   iOS and Apps (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/)
-   -   Jailbreaking now permissible for discussion (http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ios-apps/209466-jailbreaking-now-permissible-discussion.html)

schweb 07-26-2010 01:26 PM

Jailbreaking now permissible for discussion

As of Monday, July 26th the US Library of Congress expanded it's exemption of the DMCA to include not only unlocking of phones, but also the process of jailbreaking them to install applications not approved by Apple.

Due to this recent change of events, we will now allow discussion of jailbreaking your iPhone.

But do bear in mind, it still is technically against the EULA to do so and you potentially void your warranty with Apple. Also, don't be surprised if many responses to issues you may be having are replied to with "reinstall the valid firmware from Apple."

Official Library of Congress ruling:
Statement of the Librarian of Congress Relating to Section 1201 Rulemaking

TUAW Story:
Library of Congress rules in favor of jailbreaking

Raz0rEdge 07-26-2010 02:38 PM

July 26th schweb?

Regards

roeiboot 07-26-2010 02:45 PM

sweet...

(although i'm not so sure i will JB my iPhone 4.)

IvanLasston 07-26-2010 03:50 PM

Jailbreaking no longer against the DMCA

I know that we aren't supposed to discuss jailbreaking as it breaks copyright protections in the DMCA. That being said there are reports that new rules now allow jailbreaking. That is - it is legal to jailbreak under copyright law - but it still voids your warranty.

Now legal in the U.S.: Jailbreaking your iPhone, ripping a DVD for educational purposes

AppleInsider | US government legalizes iPhone 'jailbreaking,' unlocking

Govt.-Approved iPhone Jailbreaking Won't Help Users - PCWorld

Kash 07-26-2010 03:59 PM

Wow, this is absolutely amazing news!!

danbrumit 07-26-2010 05:11 PM

Now that Jailbreaking is legal, will it still be called jailbreaking?

cwa107 07-26-2010 05:54 PM

NOTE: Merged duplicate threads.

Eric559 07-26-2010 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by danbrumit (Post 1088713)
Now that Jailbreaking is legal, will it still be called jailbreaking?

Probably. Your breaking your phone free from the jail that Apple has it in. :P

bargsbeer 07-26-2010 07:29 PM

Good news indeed. Even if you don't want to jailbreak you are at least able to make the choice to do so, Without worrying about committing a crime.

MacKeeperUser 07-26-2010 07:36 PM

Don't think the rules force apple to support iPhones that have been jail broken. The rules simply make it officially legal to jail break an iPhone.

And of course in the U.S. Where will you go for a different carrier. Verizon? No. T-mobile? Maybe if the coverage doesn't suck.

bargsbeer 07-26-2010 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacKeeperUser (Post 1088755)
Don't think the rules force apple to support iPhones that have been jail broken. The rules simply make it officially legal to jail break an iPhone.

And of course in the U.S. Where will you go for a different carrier. Verizon? No. T-mobile? Maybe if the coverage doesn't suck.

Of course Apple doesn't have to support it, As for the unlocking that has always been legal I think your confusing the two.

baggss 07-26-2010 10:02 PM

NOW i'll shut up....

chas_m 07-27-2010 09:30 AM

Jailbreaking is (largely) overrated, but you had to jailbreak to unlock (if your iPhone was locked). Now that jailbreaking is legal, unlocking is therefore also legal.

With these changes, the US moves closer to what the law is already in Canada, ie more fair and reasonable when it comes to personal use.

PS. iPhones will be sold here starting July 30th, *factory unlocked* and with at least three carriers for options.

vansmith 07-27-2010 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1089013)
PS. iPhones will be sold here starting July 30th, *factory unlocked* and with at least three carriers for options.

Did you see the prices? I agree with this Engadget article - most will go with a contract but it's nice to have the option.

AUZambo 07-27-2010 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chas_m (Post 1089013)
Jailbreaking is (largely) overrated, but you had to jailbreak to unlock (if your iPhone was locked). Now that jailbreaking is legal, unlocking is therefore also legal.

I agree that jailbreaking is overrated. I'm going to sell my 8 gig 3G as soon as I get the iPhone 4, so I knew I wanted to jailbreak and unlock it. I went ahead and jailbroke it to satisfy curiosity and I'm largely unimpressed. The only really cool thing about jailbreaking is the $20 app "MyWi" that turns your phone into a mobile hotspot. It comes with a 10-day free trial and it works pretty well.

Perhaps I just haven't done enough research to uncover everything jailbreaking allows.