New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Jailbreaking now permissible for discussion

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mitch0508

mitch0508 is on a distinguished road

I think this is great! The only thing is, is that i dont live in the US does this still apply as i live in the UK?

MacBook Pro, Windows Desktop, iPhone 3GS 4.0, Time capsule
QUOTE Thanks
MYmacROX

MYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to allMYmacROX is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2008 15" MBP ML, 2012 21.5" iMac ML

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch0508 View Post
I think this is great! The only thing is, is that i dont live in the US does this still apply as i live in the UK?
I think I misunderstood the question.

If you're asking "Does this mean it is ok to discuss on these forums even though I don't live in the U.S.?" Then "Yes."

For a second, I thought you were asking if that meant it was now legal in the U.K. (I don't really know what the law is in the U.K. on jailbreaking)

16GB iPhone 5, 64GB Wi-Fi only iPad 1st Gen.

Reminder: Please include your Mac's specs. This will make it much easier for the other members to assist you.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas_m View Post
Jailbreaking is (largely) overrated, but you had to jailbreak to unlock (if your iPhone was locked). Now that jailbreaking is legal, unlocking is therefore also legal.

With these changes, the US moves closer to what the law is already in Canada, ie more fair and reasonable when it comes to personal use.

PS. iPhones will be sold here starting July 30th, *factory unlocked* and with at least three carriers for options.
Right, It's so largely over rated, Yet millions of people all over the world still do it.
QUOTE Thanks
louishen

louishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant futurelouishen has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver

Quote:
1. Defeating a lawfully obtained DVD’s encryption for the sole purpose of short, fair use in an educational setting or for criticism
I think that is the best part of the updated ruling

Member of the Month September 2008 & August 2012 | Found advice useful? – use the rep system
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUZambo View Post
I agree that jailbreaking is overrated.

<snip>

Perhaps I just haven't done enough research to uncover everything jailbreaking allows.
In my research there's perhaps a half-dozen apps of interest. A2DP for example enabled stereo bluetooth on my 2G. ScreenSplitr is incredibly handy for iPhone demos. There may be a few more, but basically unless you're really REALLY into themes and wallpapers (I'm not), or need those specific good apps (really few and far between), yeah its overrated.

Unlocking, however, was vital for me. I travel between countries fairly often and need to be able to use the same phone in all of them.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP, Black speakers, Black Benq second monitor, black(ish) iPhone 5s, Black 2012 iPad, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
Right, It's so largely over rated, Yet millions of people all over the world still do it.
Millions of people jailbreak their phones?

Of course you can point me to your studies or sites that support this?

QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargsbeer View Post
And Millions more still don't.

QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

And I'd venture to say that the majority of previous jailbreaks that were done before, with the exception of unlocks, were to get functionality like multitasking that is now built into iOS 4.

There's not really a need to do it any longer for most people.

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

Oh boy the fanboys are upset, Everyone calm down... I find jailbreaking to be very useful for me I like that I can take my iPhone to another network or that I hack it to run Android or do anything else I like, And I don't need Apple's permission. More importantly the Government agrees with myself and everyone else who supported jailbreaking, I'm not trying to convince you to like it some people strictly toe the Steve Jobs/Apple line and won't say or do anything he doesn't approve of and that's cool. When I need an app or function that Apple won't allow or hasn't approved of, most of the time that's where jailbreaking comes into play.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

So help me understand why you felt the need to start throwing insults?

And for the record, I'm not a fanboy. Check out the Apple becoming Microsoft thread for proof if you need it.

I'll also add that insulting people to make your argument rarely strengthens your argument.

QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

I wouldn't say it's an insult, I did read your post about Apple becoming Microsoft that's the last thing we need more Government controlling corporations and telling them how to do business,But that conversation is for another time and place. I consider myself Fanboy I don't see why you see it as an insult. I'm also a fanboy who can see both sides of the isle when it comes to Apple and their products. Steve said it himself "Were not perfect" it's OK to point that out. If there's a better way for me to make my iPhone,iPad or Macbook work that isn't sanctioned by Apple, Guess what I'm going to do it.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Why is a person a Fanboy because they are not for Jailbreaking something. I for one have had countless friends and people have issue after issue caused by Jailbreaking their touch and iPhone.

Now that it's legal, go for it if you want, but to me it's like buying a Mac just to run Windows. I buy Apple products for the total package. If I wanted Android OS, I would purchase an Android and not Jailbreak an iPhone and try to make it run on it. What I like about the iPhone and Macs IS the OS. Take that away I would never purchase an Apple Product in the first place. Fanboy just because I like an OS? When I see all the other issues people have with other OS's, I think I have made the correct choice.

I go with what works for me. Fanboy is an insult, a blind person who blindly buys something and anything a company makes without even checking if there is something better. I have checked and bought accordingly.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

bargsbeer, you clearly used it as an insult in your post, let's not try to pretend otherwise. You may want to reread the Community Guidelines , especially the first one again.

And please don't confuse your ability to say Apple did something wrong with you right to throw insults at people with differing opinions.

QUOTE Thanks
IvanLasston

IvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to beholdIvanLasston is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2

With every release of the iphone - Apple has made jailbreaking less and less appealing. There are those of us with older 3g iphones. Here are the apps that made it worth it for me in the past
-backgrounder
-cycorder
-categories
-sbsettings
-ssh
-vncserver and viewer
-terminal
-intelliscreen
-tethering
-5 icon dock

Again - a lot of these things are available with newer phones and OSes - but stuff like the built in background app doesn't work on the 3g.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
bargsbeer, you clearly used it as an insult in your post, let's not try to pretend otherwise. You may want to reread the Community Guidelines , especially the first one again.

And please don't confuse your ability to say Apple did something wrong with you right to throw insults at people with differing opinions.

If I said something that was offensive I apologize. I currently use the iPhone 4
(I have it on GoPhone pre-paid) Never been an At&t user until a few weeks back when I bought the iPad 3G, There service and signal are awesome no trouble or problems with the service (outside of the antenna issue) I like my iPhone 4 just to way it is, But there are several features I would like to add a few that come to mind, These are all apps I can't get through Apple.

five icon dock
MyWi
six row icons
Winterboard
SBSettings
Terminal
Customizing/Themese..etc

I like my iDevices the way they are out of the box,But If I can figure out a way to tweak or improve the functionality to suit my needs better I'm going to do it.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Multitasking. | Can I revert my iPhone 3G back to the original OS it came with when I bought it? »