New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

best task managment app (e.g. iGTD, Things, etc)

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

riverteeth

riverteeth is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

I should be getting my first iPhone in a few days, and I'm doing a bit of research on what apps should be first on my homescreen.

One big reason I'm finally getting an iPhone is to finally be able to ditch the tiny 2" x 3" notebook (yes, an actual spiral notebook with real paper!) I've been using to take quick notes, to do lists, etc. for years.

After running into the awesome 43folders website (great site about personal productivity, absolutely recommend to anyone and everyone), I've gotten into using iGTD on my Mac. If you don't know, iGTD is a an incredible, and free, little app for organizing tasks. I haven't read the original, classic, book, Getting Things Done, but I've completely bought into the principle. I'll never go back to making to do lists in word docs or text edit.

Unfortunately, the developer of iGTD has stopped work on it, and moved to the company that makes Things (guessing many of you have heard of it). It looks great, and there's an iOS app to make syncing super easy, but I'm wondering if there's a decent alternative that can save me the $60 it would cost to buy both apps.

Smooth syncing btw. Snow Leopard and the iPhone is of course of paramount importance.

thanks!

Edit:
I see that some apps in this category rely on putting your info in the cloud as the syncing solution. I'm pretty sure I'd prefer something that at least keeps a copy on my phone, so that I don't have to wait for my data to download over the network everytime I want to check my to do lists.

"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

I'm a huge fan of Things, been using it since before the 1.0 release.

Aptmunich actually wrote a review on it last year on our blog:
Mac-Forums Blog Software Review: Things ? a stylish task management app for OS X

A little outdated, but still a good overview. Also worth checking out their website:
Cultured Code

schweb | community leader
flickr » facebook » twitter » tumblr » google+ » about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
riverteeth

riverteeth is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 15" (early 2008, pre-unibody), 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM.

Things certainly would seem to be the most painless option, in that I probably wouldn't HAVE to spend much time learning a new system or worrying about how to sync. Only hesitation is the cost.

Are there any users out there that use iGTD and something compatable on your iPhone? I've never used iGTD's syncing features, but I see in the menus "syncronize," "syncronize and isync", or just "isync". Could any of these be used in conjunction with some other app on the iPhone?

"The past is not dead. In fact, it's not even past." -William Faulkner
QUOTE Thanks
SJP

SJP is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MBP 15", 2.4, 4Gb, 160Gb, 10.6.3 and Mini (MB463B/A) 3Gb

Check out Omnifocus (for Mac and iPhone).

I've been playing with task-managements apps for years and nothing comes close to this. Do a Google, download the free trial (if you have a Mac), and have a play.

Not sure if it works on iPhone only, i.e without a Mac version to sync too.
QUOTE Thanks
tiger roach

tiger roach has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: iMac 24-inch 3.06GHz

Another Things fan here.
QUOTE Thanks
McYukon

McYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to beholdMcYukon is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9

Also have a look at Firetask GTD.
It came out of private dev beta today, it has a iOS counterpart.
Firetask: GTD®-Style Task Management for iPhone + iPod touch

Use the reputation system if a post helps you!
Mac Forums IRC Channel - Help build it by hanging out with us
The next sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.
QUOTE Thanks
scottyk617

scottyk617 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Mac mini 2.4, wife: iPad 16gb & iphone 3Gs, me: Macbook 2.6 & iphone 3Gs

Do any of these programs allow more than 1 section?
For instance I have a day job & a part time business, would be nice to be able to switch 'lifes' so to speak?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute

Thinks allows you to classify to-dos into areas which could work for you.

QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

I thought Things was rather expensive. However, Omnifocus looks even more expensive, once you have the Mac and the iPad versions. Worse still if you add the iPhone version.

The Mac version has a 14 day trial. Trouble is the iPad version does not - so you can't really try it out properly without at least buying the iPad version.

Anyone tried both Omnifocus and Things could offer a comparison please?
QUOTE Thanks
ElegantEsthetic

ElegantEsthetic will become famous soon enough

I found this thread after a search, and I'm trying to decide whether I want to spend money on Things or OmniFocus; I'm also looking at Yojimbo (instead of evernote, which has gotten a little slow...but is free) but I think that's probably an entirely different class of product.

Has anyone used both?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

I think it depends on how complex you want to get. I find Things to be a much better solution for the regular consumer or even "prosumer" GTD user. It's simpler and quite honestly, just a beautifully designed application.

OmniFocus us ultimately more expensive, not as intuitive, but it does add a lot of power for power users of GTD.

QUOTE Thanks
ElegantEsthetic

ElegantEsthetic will become famous soon enough

I forgot to mention that despite finding this thread in the iPod and iPhone section, I will primarily be using the program(s) on my MBP and (once I actually get it) iPad 2. Does that change your response, or...?
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElegantEsthetic View Post
I forgot to mention that despite finding this thread in the iPod and iPhone section, I will primarily be using the program(s) on my MBP and (once I actually get it) iPad 2. Does that change your response, or...?
Nope, still the same answer. There is just a philosophical difference between what each app views as its target audience and its design principles.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iMovie on ipad | recharger cradle »