New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Are You Running iOS 4 on a 3G iPhone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Connaught

Connaught is on a distinguished road

What is your experience thus far?

It is DEAD slow on mine.

Like... "5 second wait to use the calendar" dead slow.
QUOTE Thanks
roeiboot

roeiboot will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MB061LL/B & iPhone4

i did, before i got the 3G[S] 3 weeks ago.. ran it since Beta1 all the way to the official release and never had an issue with lag and/or slowness. some say re-update and don't restore but set it up as a new device..

~rb
iPhone 4 /16GB MacBook3,1 iPad my blog
QUOTE Thanks
baggss

baggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond reputebaggss has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 27" 3.4 Ghz i7 iMac-13" C2D Macbook-OSX 18.8.2-64Gb iPad 2-32 Gb iPhone 5-ATV 2-14Tb of Storage

Mines not slow although it does lag at times. I find I works better if I reset it at least once every other day. Frankly I'm not surprised you're having issues though. The 3G IS the minimum requirement to run iOS 4...

QUOTE Thanks
Raz0rEdge

Raz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant futureRaz0rEdge has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 27" i7 iMac, 24" iMac, 13" Macbook Air, iPhone 5 & 5S, iPod Nano 7th Gen, iPad 2 16GB WiFi, iPad 3

I run iOS4 on the 3G. The update took forever, and after the update the phone was an absolute crawl..I had to power-cycle it to get back to normal, and since the power-cycle the phone is back to it's original speed with the new functionality..

I can't say that it is noticeably slower than iOS 3..but you can tell that the iOS4 is really designed for 3GS and iPhone 4..

Regards
QUOTE Thanks
Anderoo

Anderoo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.93ghz

Hey there.

I am running iOS4 on a UK 3GS (32GB). So far I have noticed a small slow down but not too much, and to be fair I can live with that. However there are many more problems that have turned my phone into a far more useful paper weight.

Even more random crashes when the wireless network is switched on. I have had nothing but crashes since the moment I purchased the phone 12 months ago with this. Applications would just stop and send me back to the home screen, together with screen crashes like you would get on a C64 with all colours across the screen, the phone would then reboot. Always, always when using or have wireless switched on.

Since iOS4 that is happening far more, but now my phone just goes dead. No screen, will not respond to buttons and takes about 20-30 seconds to get it to reboot with the home and power button. Once it comes back there is no power in the phone, even if it was at full charge before the crash. I always get really other random things like half a screen, and then it pops back to lock screen and won't open for a few seconds.

No idea if I can get it looked at, also a problem that I no longer live in the UK.

Anybody else having similar problems?

Anderoo
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

my 3g is running slow since the ios4, also battery life is not what it used to be, it drains a lot faster now.

When I upgraded to iOS4 i set it up as a new device. I thought these things just worked....guess not.
QUOTE Thanks
bargsbeer

bargsbeer is a jewel in the roughbargsbeer is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO

I noticed on my back up 3G that it seems to lag a lot more, That's stock 4.0 not Jailbroken.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I ran iOS4 on my 3G for a few weeks before I got my iPhone 4. It was just as slow, if not a bit slower, than 3.0. It was maddeningly frustrating to use. I'm so glad I finally upgraded.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
richieg

richieg is on a distinguished road

I am running IOS4 on my 3G and it ridiculously slow. I restored it rather than set it up new. If I restore it as new device I can add apps again no problem and get my calendar, contact and email no problem as i run in exchange but will I loose my text messages and what else will I loose. Will apps work ok even though it ill look like a new device. Should I call it the same name?
QUOTE Thanks
1075nat

1075nat is on a distinguished road

I upgraded to iOS4 on my 3g (16GB) iPhone the day it was released. Over time, I noticed that the phone was becoming slower and slower, until one day last week, it took over 5 minutes to open an email with no images.

This afternoon, I finally decided that I would restore the phone, set up as a "New Phone" and turned off the majority of the Spotlight options as suggested in some other forums. So far so good. My applications are running at a reasonable speed, and Safari which was the worst offender, is much better.

I run iTunes on a Mac and make use of the Address Book and iCal which takes care of the majority of the setup. Really the only thing I lost was the SMS' but there was nothing pressing that I needed to retain.
QUOTE Thanks
Aleksandrs

Aleksandrs is on a distinguished road

Not iPhone but I am running iOS4 on a 2G iPod Touch and its never run faster!
QUOTE Thanks
Nighthawk4

Nighthawk4 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iMac 2.66 GHz 20", iPad 32GB 3G, iPhone 16GB 3G

Yes, my 3G is hopelessly slow since I upgraded to iOS4.

I really wish I hadn't upgraded.
QUOTE Thanks
1075nat

1075nat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by richieg View Post
I am running IOS4 on my 3G and it ridiculously slow. I restored it rather than set it up new. If I restore it as new device I can add apps again no problem and get my calendar, contact and email no problem as i run in exchange but will I loose my text messages and what else will I loose. Will apps work ok even though it ill look like a new device. Should I call it the same name?
Restoring from backup installs the dodgy upgrade again.

As for restoring it as a new device, the apps will install again. You should be able to sync your email as well. Calendar and contacts will be another issue. Depends on the email provider / app you are using and how you have the sync set up within iTunes. I know if you are using gMail and utilise it's contact feature, you should retain them. Can't be use about the calendar as I don't use it.

You will lose any personal settings like ringtones, folders, backgrounds etc but they are easy enough to set up again.
QUOTE Thanks
craigmackem

craigmackem is on a distinguished road

hi just bought a 3g off my mate put what i think is ios4....its4.2.1 the new one and everything is instant....battery is awful....
QUOTE Thanks
james515

james515 is an unknown at this point

my 3g is still slow since 4.2.1. i was really hoping that 4.2.1 would have at least fixed some of the slowness that 4.0 caused. that was one of the points of 4.2.1 for the 3g. oh well, guess i will stick it out until my contract is up and switch to a different smart phone.

im tired of hearing that the 3g is the MINIMUM requirement to run 4.2.1 .
Apple knew that, and they should NOT have made that upgrade available for the 3G.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iOS Rich Text Email/Gmail | Which is the best way to jailbreak iPhone 4.2.1? »