New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

Trying to download new software 4.0 upgrade -- backup isn't working

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sarahree35

sarahree35 is on a distinguished road

I'm trying to download the new upgrade for my iPod touch, but it just doesn't seem to be working. It downloads easily, but when it starts the backing up process, it takes forever. And I'm not just talking about 2 hours. I checked the backup status after each hour, but it had not progressed any further than the B in "Backing up..." Is this normal? Do I need to let it sit for a whole day or is there something that I'm missing. Your thoughts are greatly appreciated!!
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

If you have access to both a Mac and a PC, try doing the update on the other machine. You can update with any machine, not just the one that your iPod syncs to. Sometimes it works on one when the other is being finicky.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahree35

Unfortunately, I just have a PC. I'm not sure why it's doing that though but thanks for your suggestion!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

I just talked to a friend on Facebook and his Wife's iPhone 3G took 3+ hours for the backup alone not to mention restore of your data.
QUOTE Thanks
sarahree35

Oh ok it was probably close to 3 hours when I canceled it and it hadn't made it past the B in "Backing." Do you know if hers started out that way and then at a certain point, the bar went across faster? If that makes sense.
QUOTE Thanks
Jaygray

Jaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the roughJaygray is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Unibody MacBook Pro 2.26, 4gb RAM, 500gb HD

Here's an idea. Sync with iTunes. This should backup the phone.

Follow the directions on this site. Essentially, you'll download the update to your HD, and then update the phone from the backup on your HD instead of downloading and installing in a single step. It should let you skip the backup process. Once the update is complete, a sync w/ iTunes should restore everything.

iOS 4.0 direct download link for iPod 3G, 2G, iPhone 3G, 3G S ipsw offline installer, manually install iOS 4.0 ipsw

'Update' backs up your ipod, upgrades the OS, and then restores everything from the backup.

'Restore' assumes something is wrong with your ipod, so it skips the backup, updates the OS, and then restores everything from the last good backup you have. Since you sync'd right before the restore, you'll have a good backup of your ipod's more recent state.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« iPhone 3gs update | How do I reset my multitask apps? »