New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
iOS and Apps All your questions and discussion of iOS or iOS Apps.

iPhone 4 Video Chatting Apps?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

airwalk331

airwalk331 is on a distinguished road

So, I know that currently, the only way to video chat is via FaceTime from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4 over wifi.

BUT, when will we start seeing other video chat apps? Will skype make use of the front facing camera for video calls over wifi??

Anyone know of any coming out soon??
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Skype has stated that it will try and incorporate video chatting into its app, but as for when it'll happen, who knows.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
airwalk331

Ugghh! I don't know enough people who have an iPhone 4!! It's kind of ridiculous apple to not make video calling compatible with iChat.
QUOTE Thanks
chas_m

chas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond reputechas_m has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mid-2012 MBP (16GB, 1TB HD), BenQ second monitor, iPhone 5s 32GB, iPad Air 2 64GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwalk331 View Post
Ugghh! I don't know enough people who have an iPhone 4!! It's kind of ridiculous apple to not make video calling compatible with iChat.
Be patient, young padawan. FaceTime is coming to (at least some models of) Mac in due course.
QUOTE Thanks
abhilashreddy33

abhilashreddy33 is on a distinguished road

video chat is via FaceTime is not included in os4 for 3gs ?

Latest tech news
QUOTE Thanks
IZVERG

IZVERG is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP unibody

I used the app KnockingVideo on my 3G S. Really cool video chat app that worked great just over 3G service but you had to use the back camera, meaning you could not see the other person while chatting but they could see you.

I have yet to try it w/ my iPhone 4, but I would guess it is not updated to incorporate the use of the front-facing camera.

-Ever Forward-
My X Blog
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashreddy33 View Post
video chat is via FaceTime is not included in os4 for 3gs ?
The 3GS has no front facing camera, therefore FaceTime is not available as an option

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
macguy90

macguy90 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Air 13-inch, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7 Processor

We will begin to see more & more FaceTime devices this year, starting with the recently released iPhone 4 and hopefully by the end of the year, a FaceTime-capable iPad.

 MacBook Air 13'' (2013) 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel Core i7
 iPad 4 (16GB) White
 AT&T iPhone 5 (32GB) Black
 Original iPad (16GB) Black
QUOTE Thanks
iggibar

iggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to beholdiggibar is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Mac Pro 4.1 15" MBP. 13" MBP. 17" PB. Power Mac G5. Galaxy Note 4 160gb*

I have a feelingthat apple won't let free apps get to the marketplace to take over face time, unless it's an app that has a monthly fee, like skype.
QUOTE Thanks
airwalk331

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
I have a feelingthat apple won't let free apps get to the marketplace to take over face time, unless it's an app that has a monthly fee, like skype.
Skype is free. Skype is so free, it's not even funny.

Anyway, where the **** is skype video calling from the iphone!?

I contacted Skype regarding this. Here's what I got:

Me: I just bought a new iPhone 4 and love the Skype chat/video call experience. When can I expect video calling to come to the iPhone 4??

We understand your concerns regarding our services. We will pass on the feature that you are requesting to our development team for consideration to potentially be included in a future release. However, implementing changes and creating new features can take some time which means that the suggestions you make today might not be available in the near future.Please be patient while we are working on improving our service to be better and more user friendly. We are sorry for any inconvenience. Should you need more assistance, feel free to contact us again; we will be glad to help. Regards, Anika, Skype Customer Service

Me: Do you know if this is a feature the Skype Team has been working on adding at all?

Skype: Thank you for contacting Skype Customer Service. Thank you for your reply. Please note that Skype has noted the demand for a video calling feature and it has been discussed to add such a feature to the Skype client for iPhone. If and when this will be is something we unfortunately cannot disclose. If you should have any more questions or problems, please do not hesitate to contact us. Kindest regards, Joerg, Skype Customer Support

Seriously, Skype needs to get on this. I don't mind if they start with video chat over wifi and add 3g later. i just want to be able to video chat with more people on my iphone. None of my friends have an iphone 4
QUOTE Thanks
kajiholic

kajiholic is on a distinguished road

They have a Chatroulette type App out now called "iChatr" its free

"I work for Verizon, but I have an iPhone..."

BLOG: http://kajiholic.wordpress.com/
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrinorbarsaku View Post
Apple made Facetime an open standard so anyone can incorporate it.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
airwalk331

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweb View Post
Apple made Facetime an open standard so anyone can incorporate it.
I'd be thrilled if they made a facetime desktop client that ran on a windows PC but that doesn't exist... yet. I'm just waiting for Skype because it's credible and popular.
QUOTE Thanks
markbyrn

markbyrn will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: iPhone, iPad, MacBook Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajiholic View Post
They have a Chatroulette type App out now called "iChatr" its free
Not anymore - Apple pulled the app from the store due to users exposing themselves and given that Lord Job's has dictated that his closed virtual world and it's loyal subjects be infused with victorian era chastity, the chances of this app reappearing are slim to none.

Have to say though that the first time I showed somebody this app (at an Apple store no less), the first chat I got was somebody exposing his junk
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Fringe anyone? Haven't tried it myself, but heard some positive feedback and it works over 3G.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Safari | IOS4 keeps freezing on my 3G Touch. »